You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Collapse All" Option in the Layers Panel

It would be very nice if you could collapse all layers at once in the layers panel. Layers become very difficult to work with when you have many of them since selecting objects expands the parent layer, so you have to scroll back up and manually collapse them yourself.

Perhaps you could have it so that layers are only expanded for as long as the item within it is selected? That way, after deselecting an object, the layer expansion goes back to its previous state, which is ether expanded or collapsed. Am I making any sense?

I agree being able to collapse all layers and groups would be a useful feature. However I think it would get annoying if layers were popping opened and closed as you are selecting things. 

I usually disable the "Show Selection in Layers Panel" option in the User Interface section under Preferences when I don't want to deal with many many layers and groups in the layer panel. 
If I then want to find a selected object I can just right click and "Find in Layers Panel"

sig2.png.950594012af1a9c5582236e0a457cd0a.pngsig1.png.975f263a1c12b5aec3f87a4541eb33ef.png

Illustrator, Designer, 3D Modeller (In that order) - Open for commissions - Check out my art Instagram or follow me on twitter or like my Facebook page. Phew! 

• 11 months later...

The solution is like Adobe Illustrator.  A regular layer is like  a parent layer.  All the objects you draw will fall on that layer until you decide to make a new one.  You can tip the layer down and see all of the sub layers, one for each object.  After hours of work, I have maybe 3 or 5 layers.  No scrolling unless I decide to tip a layer and see all of the sub layers.  Having it expand constantly with no control over it must suit some kind of work flow that I don't know about.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2019 at 9:33 PM, serpenteagle said:

It would be very nice if you could collapse all layers at once in the layers panel. Layers become very difficult to work with when you have many of them since selecting objects expands the parent layer, so you have to scroll back up and manually collapse them yourself.

Perhaps you could have it so that layers are only expanded for as long as the item within it is selected? That way, after deselecting an object, the layer expansion goes back to its previous state, which is ether expanded or collapsed. Am I making any sense?

This + it'd be great if we could collapse all layers, like in Sketch for example where you just hold option/alt before tapping the arrow next to the layer in order to collapse all the sub-layers and groups inside the parent layer.

• 1 month later...

I'd love this feature, too. I would like it to be like in Excel when you have multiple layers in a structured order, and can choose to unfold or collapse the first/second/third order of layers (by clicking a small arrow on top).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

+1

Figma does this and I use it so much, would love it in Affinity.

Would also be very nice to have one for 'expanding' all layers or at least groups of layers you have selected. Figma does this very nicely, you select the Frames/Groups and Ctrl+Click on the arrow for expanding them and it fully expand all Frames/Groups and sub groups inside of them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

+100!

Either that, or what's wrong with the system-wide standard (on MacOS at least) Option-click to expand/collaps all?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 5 weeks later...