D’T4ils

Curves get distorted when expanding strokes

I was working on a very simple design with the pen tool. I got to the point where I needed to expand the strokes of those paths, and I ended up getting a very unexpected result. Even though they are very simple shapes, the curves got distorted after being expanded.

I tested this with Designer 1.6.5.135 as well as the latest beta release.

I've attached a couple of PNGs illustrating the issue and the file I was working on so you can take a better look at it.

expand strokes 1.png

expand strokes 2.png

expand strokes.afdesign

This is a long-standing issue with small shapes. The best available workaround at the moment is to enlarge the design significantly, expand the strokes and then shrink the result back down again.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

I actually tried that, @Alfred Even at big sizes, the distortion still occurs. I guess it's not that easy to see when it's bigger, but I guess the problem stays exactly the same.

It's a real pity they haven't fixed this :S Any word on this being worked out soon?

22 minutes ago, D’T4ils said:

I actually tried that, @Alfred Even at big sizes, the distortion still occurs. I guess it's not that easy to see when it's bigger, but I guess the problem stays exactly the same.

The distortion will be just as easy to see when it’s bigger, but it should become much less noticeable when you shrink the design back down to its original size.

It's a real pity they haven't fixed this :S Any word on this being worked out soon?

I haven’t seen any announcements about it.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)