You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curves get distorted when expanding strokes

I was working on a very simple design with the pen tool. I got to the point where I needed to expand the strokes of those paths, and I ended up getting a very unexpected result. Even though they are very simple shapes, the curves got distorted after being expanded.

I tested this with Designer 1.6.5.135 as well as the latest beta release.

I've attached a couple of PNGs illustrating the issue and the file I was working on so you can take a better look at it.

expand strokes 1.png

expand strokes 2.png

expand strokes.afdesign

Well this is really really annoying

There is no offset tool, yet we can't use Expand stroke as a work around because it's broken
Development is very much aware of the issue, ok, and we yet don't know when this will be fixed, if it will ever be fixed and not even if someone is working on it. 

4 hours ago, dok said:

Development is very much aware of the issue, ok, and we yet don't know when this will be fixed, if it will ever be fixed and not even if someone is working on it.

Yes, Serif's feedback about software development is quite sparse. They must have some strong internal policy about this. I'm sure making things more transparent would benefit everyone.

Couldn't agree more with you both, @dok @rubs. It honestly scares me a little bit to see that this is how they handle issues that should be address in a short time. I was able to solve it using regular circles to replace the ones that were distorted, but with a more complex design I would have no choice but to use a different software. And to see how many resources and effort they are putting on developing the iPad version is not encouraging at all. I've got the impression they are leaving us aside :S (at least for the moment).

9 minutes ago, D’T4ils said:

I've got the impression they are leaving us aside .

I also get the impression (going on how many problems there have been, for so long,  still awaiting resolution,) that Serif have bitten off more than they can chew, trying to develop three pieces of software, for three platforms, all at the same time! 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 hours ago, D’T4ils said:

but with a more complex design I would have no choice but to use a different software

A known workaround with AD is to scale your object up, say 10 or 20 times, expand strokes, then scale it back. The issue with expand stroke is not very noticeable with large objects.

Yet the feature does need fixing, of course.

I get the impression that Serif's Devs must be really frustrated because of this kind of know and long-lasting issues, the same way we do.

Then why don't they fix it already? Because there, surely, is more to it.

Best regards!

I agree this issue is particularly annoying.

For the moment, my only workaround is to scale up (waayyyyyy up) my shape (checking "scale with object"), then expand stroke, then scale it back down again.

Edit: oups, I didn't read the topic fully… BTW D'T4ils, you can still be precise if you scale up/down the exact same amount.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.