You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Text Ruler

I have tried everything to get the text rule to show. I open a new document. Select the text frame tool and create a text box, but no rule. In the view menu the view text ruler is checked. This has been a problem with me for many versions and I figure it would get fixed in one of the updates.

I am running 1.7.0.238 on a 5k iMac with 24MB RAM.

Macbook Pro 13 (Mid 2010) - Web Designer

13 hours ago, Husbandman said:

I have tried everything to get the text rule to show. I open a new document. Select the text frame tool and create a text box, but no rule. In the view menu the view text ruler is checked. This has been a problem with me for many versions and I figure it would get fixed in one of the updates.

I am running 1.7.0.238 on a 5k iMac with 24MB RAM.

It works pretty well for me (Beta 238).

(iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS 10.14.3)

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-19 um 09.49.01.png

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

5 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

Besides placing a text frame, did you 

a) switch on the option „Show Text Ruler“ in the „View“ menu?

b) Place a text cursor into the frame? Only activating the frame won’t show the ruler.

a) Yes

b) Yes 

Should a text frame without a cursor in it show a ruler? Does that make sense?

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-19 um 15.45.30.jpg

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

6 minutes ago, Puck said:

Should a text frame without a cursor in it show a ruler? Does that make sense?

What if you select three or more text frames? Do you want them all to have text rulers showing, or do you only want the rulers showing when you are working in a text frame? I prefer to have as little clutter on the page as possible.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I prefer to have as little clutter on the page as possible.

I'm all on your side! My question was meant to be: Why should a text frame without a cursor in it show a ruler? Does that make sense?

12 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Puck, I answerd to the initial question of Husbandman, not to yours! :)

Well, that wasn't clear :)

1 hour ago, mac_heibu said:

Just re-read my comment. It is perfectly clear, that I answered the initial question. 

I always try to answer the original poster’s question. That is the sense of a forum! :)

Then maybe you should quote the person you're responding to, right? Then everything is much clearer. That's what the citation function is for. :)

My god, let‘s stop this useless private conversation. Just read comments with brain switched on, and quoting isn‘t necessary in many cases — especially, if one quotes a large post, where you have to delete images to make the post „streamlined“.

That‘s it for me, until the OP reports back.

33 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Just read comments with brain switched on

No need to get unfriendly :)

1 hour ago, Puck said:

Then maybe you should quote the person you're responding to, right?

I agree, and I generally do this 90% of the time, as I can never be sure either when someone else might post in between...

54 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

quoting isn‘t necessary in many cases

You can quote just a few words as in this example, to help maintain the flow of the conversation.

Alternatively, you could at least provide the name of the person you are responding to (or even just "OP" in this case would have helped), as that would also make it more clear what is going on.  You did post about 1/2 hour after @Puck did, so I probably jumped to the conclusion as well that you were replying to him rather than to @Husbandman the first time I read through that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.