You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

16 hours ago, AndRo Marian said:

1. Hi. How i change the (Page / Artboard Background Gray Scale). The option from UI not working in 1.6 or 1.7 beta. Is still White.

I am not sure what you are asking but the top two sliders set the grey level of the workspace window background for documents without & with artboards, not the background of the canvas or artboards.

16 hours ago, AndRo Marian said:

2. Is possible to swap colors by KeyBoard. Is hard to erase a pixel if i have a transparent color selected.

If you mean toggling between the two colors shown in the Color panel's two large round color swatches, the default keyboard shortcut for that is the X key.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi AndRo Marian,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The Artboard Background Grey Level is only for artboard based documents (which can only be created in Affinity Designer). You can create them ticking the Create Artboard checkbox when creating a new document or when using the Artboard Tool in the program.

• Staff

Hi AndRo Marian,
Here's how this works:
The Background Grey Level only works for documents which do NOT USE artboards - for example create a new document, make sure the Create Artboard checkbox is unticked and try to adjust the slider. You should see the background around the canvas change.

The Artboard Background Grey Level only works for documents which DO USE artboards - for example create a new document, make sure the Create Artboard checkbox is ticked and try to adjust the slider. You should see the background around the artboards canvas change.

If the white pixels you are referring to is the canvas itself, that is, the area where you actually draw/place objects etc, then there's no way to change the Canvas colour. You have to create a rectangle with the same size as the document canvas and give it the colour fill you want. In case you want the canvas transparent tick the Transparent background checkbox when creating a new document or if you already have created it, go to menu File ▸ Document Setup..., Colour tab, and tick the Transparent background checkbox.

41 minutes ago, AndRo Marian said:

Is nice if is possible to add in future.

What is it that you would like to see added? The white & gray checkerboard pattern background is just how the Affinity (& several other) apps indicate transparency in documents. It is not a layer, just a property of the objects in the document. So for example, if you want a document with a plain white background, untick the Transparent background checkbox that @MEB mentioned & make sure every object is 100% opaque.

Alternately, you can (in Affinity Photo) add a Fill layer of any color you want & move it to be bottom of the layer stack, or (in Affinity Designer) add a colored rectangle that fills the canvas or artboard & move that to the bottom.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

53 minutes ago, AndRo Marian said:

What is the point if the theme is Dark (I like dark) but the Artboard background is so White.

The background around artboards can be as light or dark as you want -- that's why there is a preference setting for that.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
2 hours ago, AndRo Marian said:

I get it now. Thanks. Is nice if is possible to add in future.

The ability set a background colour for the canvas was already requested by a few users. Some programs do have this option but it wasn't implemented in Affinity apps. As mentioned using a rectangle with the fill colour you want in both Designer and Photo or a Fill layer in the case of Photo only are quick ways to work around the limitation.

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Maybe we should call it pasteboard area instead of background there.

In some Apple developer documentation the clipboard is referred to as the "pasteboard," so maybe "window" would be a better choice?

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, AndRo Marian said:

The Artboard is the document where you painting, not the ouside of it.

Not exactly. An Affinity document can contain any number of artboards (including zero), & for documents that have artboards you can draw or move items off of them. In essence, artboards are individual canvases.

This artboards example.afphoto shows this. The artboards were created in Affinity Designer but everything else was done in Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo 

55 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In some Apple developer documentation the clipboard is referred to as the "pasteboard," so maybe "window" would be a better choice?

No, window is too generic, as everything is in the window. The term we need (which is often called pasteboard in discussions here) needs to describe those areas outside of the artboards but constrained to that part of the window where you could place an artboard if you wanted to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, window is too generic, as everything is in the window. The term we need (which is often called pasteboard in discussions here) needs to describe those areas outside of the artboards but constrained to that part of the window where you could place an artboard if you wanted to.

OK, but whatever terminology is used, the label should be short enough to fit in a reasonably sized Preferences window, & that should be true for each supported language. A quick check using Google translate (which I realize may not produce the most appropriate translation) seems to rule out "pasteboard" because that gets retranslated back into English as "cardboard" in several supported languages.

Maybe something like "Outside canvas gray level" & "Outside artboard gray level" would work better?

Affinity Photo