You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Glyph browser goes peculiar!

I have just tried the version 238 beta and decided to try to find out if a previously reported problem over using the Glyph Browser has been fixed. Alas no, though even the very slight colour change seems to have gone.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/77847-glyph-browser-search-facility/

Yet I found a peculiar problem with the glyph browser.

I tied to search for the character h and just got a display with a subset of the characters that are in the font.

It looked peculiar but it suddenly occurred to me that each of the characters in the subset has a letter h in the character name of the glyph in the font.

Yet that only works for most of the top row. Once one gets to À (LATIN CAPITAL LETER A WITH GRAVE) that does not seem to be the rule.

I tried it with other letters such a j and q and the results are interesting.

William Overington

Monday 18 February 2019

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

It appears to me, that this search is not meant to be for the glyph itself - which makes no sense for me, but for the description of it. Means searching for grave gives you all glyphs with a grave. Maybe else I did not understand your problem.

glyph-browser.jpg

Edited by Joachim_L
Attached image

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

From the Photo 1.6 Help:

• Search—Enter a Glyph value, a Unicode value or a text phrase to locate a Glyph or Unicode character. For example, "G+0131", "U+00b0" or the phrase "degree" will all show the degree symbol, respectively.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@Joachim_L

Well, if one is looking for a letter h there seems nothing else that one can enter into the search bar but h on its own.

Maybe it was not anticipated that someone would do that, but there we are.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

Well, if one is looking for a letter h there seems nothing else that one can enter into the search bar but h on its own.

If I select Arial and search for 'h' or 'H' (without the quotation marks) I get a long list of results beginning with 'Apostrophe', 'Left Parenthesis', 'Right Parenthesis', 'Hyphen-Minus' and 'Digit Three'. If I search instead for 'h{space}' I get 'Latin Capital Letter A With Diaeresis', etc, and if I search for '{space} h' I get 'Latin Capital Letter H', 'Latin Small Letter H', 'Latin Capital Letter F With Hook', etc. Searching for '{space}H{space}' seems to give me only H glyphs including accents or diacritics.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

33 minutes ago, Alfred said:

… . Searching for '{space}H{space}' seems to give me only H glyphs including accents or diacritics.

That makes sense as the Unicode name for an unaccented h would not have a space after the letter h in the description.

I have often found that as I like to include characters for Esperanto in my fonts, the issue of an h circumflex needs to be considered right from the start when setting out the metrics for the font. I have only once seen printed text where the circumflex accent above the h is at the same height as for a c circumflex, thus to the side of the ascender rather than above it.

I note that Polish uses a line through a lowercase l rather than try to have an accent above it. (also for uppercase)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_language#Orthography

I am remined of the fact that the Arno font, by Adobe, had an end of line variant glyph for some characters, including h circumflex.

Yet where could such a glyph be used?

Inspired by this I wrote a poem which, when translated into Esperanto, allows such a glyph to be used at the end of each line, though there is then an issue of an apostrophe that is needed after each use of the h circumflex.

A soft and lingering echo
In the garden of a monk
Of a great and magnificent pibroch
Played before a monarch

I find it interesting that I wrote (in 2008) a poem in Esperanto inspired by the glyph complement of the Arno Pro Italic font. A poem that might well never have been written if the Arno Pro Italic font had not had the ending version of the Esperanto ĥ character.

A situation of typography inspiring creative writing.

William

13 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

I fear, you don’t use a Mac, William, where it is that simple to use these kind of characters: Just hold the key down for a tiny moment and – voilà :) :

William and I are both Windows users, so we have to resort to aids like this one: http://esperanto.typeit.org

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, Alfred said:

William and I are both Windows users, so we have to resort to aids like this one: http://esperanto.typeit.org

I did not know about that. Thank you.

William

26 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

I fear, you don’t use a Mac, William, where it is that simple to use these kind of characters: Just hold the key down for a tiny moment and – voilà :) :

Wow, you made that video specially for me. Thank you.

I also found it on YouTube.

William

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

Yes, yet that is orthogonal to this issue

Actually, it's not. The "phrase" you can enter is part of the Unicode name of the character.

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

Well, if one is looking for a letter h there seems nothing else that one can enter into the search bar but h on its own

For that, consider that the complete name of "h" is "Latin Small Letter h" you could search for "letter h" or "small letter h" to avoid getting H instead.

For a more realistic one, suppose you wanted an e with a grave accent. Search for "letter e with grave" or "small letter e with grave".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1