You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flash-like fill drawing?

Hello,

what is the best way to draw shadows and lights in a vector only object? Currently, I am doing a lot of additional work (duplicating layers beneath it, drawing shapes and filling those) in order to achieve this.

Ideally, I would like to draw custom fills like it is in Flash (Adobe Animate CC). Attached is an example from the game Kingdom Rush of what I would like to achieve.

Can you give me some tips on how to shade efficiently in Affinity Designer? Thanks

kingdom-rush-origins-200x200.jpg

Not sure what you're asking here exactly. Do you want soft shadows? Hard shadows? You can create soft shadows directly in the Effects panel ('outer shadow'), but I guess when you need hard shadows it's indeed a matter of copying and merge layers and give it a shadow color.

10 minutes ago, Maras said:

I want hard shadows like in the example picture I posted >> Draw outline first and then start colouring the picture.

Making multiple layers takes quite a lot of time and results into much more complex SVG than needed

I agree with you it would be pretty welcome to have a possibility to add a 'hard' shadow we can color ourselves. As you wrote it's way too much work to do that manually now. It would be pretty 'convenient' to have a feature like this to be used for flatstyle illustrations and designs too.

But I would like the result to be vector graphics though (Right now, unfortunately, most if not all effects in that panel are raster-effects), otherwise I would never us it on svg.

• Staff

Hi Maras,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately there's no such 'Flash-like fill' feature in Affinity when it comes to vector drawings, you'll have to duplicate/draw new vector lines to shade your drawings. You may find the following videos helpful, although he's using the iPad version, his techniques are universal!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvQayLo09xcsHO2DdBxBYAQ

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!