You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

getting rid of unused styles ?

I was wondering this some time ago....couldn't work out an easy fix.

Depending on size of document...I did try and get a clean stylesheet some time ago.

Only way I found was to clean down styles in blank doc (detach and delete) and copy the required text boxes into blank file (they get listed in stylesheet when pasted). Then export/re-import...not ideal and certainly not for large documents. 

Or

add Text boxes to assets panel and drag those into clean file (again the styles get remembered)

It would be useful to have:

1. select used/unused styles and those options when using import/export options
2. Import/Export styles from selected in styles panel
3. Select all used styles

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

38 minutes ago, MEB said:

No, there's no way to delete the unused ones. Styles are stored in the app directly without any relation with the documents they were used in.

This can't be?!?! Maybe my English is bad, but as I understand the above like this way that used styles are inside the programme and not inside the document? I can delete any kind of text style (character or paragraph). Besides deleting unused text styles altogether in one go replacing styles with others would be extremely useful.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I thought they were in the document!...you can move them around between documents but not be specific. So either have to be efficient with naming convention or cheat..a bit:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Text Styles are stored in the document, and it is certainly possible to delete them via the Text Styles panel (hamburger menu for the style's entry).

What is not simple, I think, is finding all styles that are not used and removing them. You can use Find to locate text with a specific Text Style, and if none is found you can then delete that one. But that's a manual, one Text Style at a time, operation.

Edit: This also wouldn't help if you had two Text Styles with the same name, as Tom showed in his screenshot earlier. Should that even be allowed? That seems like a bug.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, Joachim_L said:

The "styles" can be deleted as well although they are part of the app (really?).

Yes, they are stored with the app data, just as your brushes, application swatches, toolbar and tool configuration, Studio panel configuration, etc. are.

That doesn't mean they can't be deleted, though, as you pointed out :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Joachim..  Well thanks..

Originaly,   i was asking for the textstyles..    I got a Document with about  70 pages, and about 20 Textstyles... But i am not sure if all of them are used..  so i just wanted to clean it up, and go on with only the used Textstyles that where left..

I originaly created the Document , from saving it out from another Document, where i had to use many more styles..  so to get all neded styles, this is a good way..  but now it seams you have to pay very good attention to not delete the wrong style..   so an automatic search for unused styles would be very good

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What is not simple, I think, is finding all styles that are not used and removing them. You can use Find to locate text with a specific Text Style, and if none is found you can then delete that one. But that's a manual, one Text Style at a time, operation.

I don't mind necessarily removing unused text styles since I already tidied up my master documents. But it is doable - look at Indesign, there you can select unused text styles or colours and remove them in one step. Replacing is the kind of action I would like to see. ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Joachim_L,
You can delete styles and text styles in the program - that was never in question. What Tom Schülke was requesting is a way to delete unused text styles. There's no way to do this in the current Beta.

Been on the wrong steam boat. :D Yes, you are correct.

------

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Replacing is the kind of action I would like to see.

You can do that.

In the Find panel, click the cog in the Find section and select the style you want to replace. Then click the cog in the Replace section and specify the style to replace with.

Click Find, then Replace or Replace all.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

the styles can be deleted

Yes. I agreed with you above :)

(But it was rather convoluted English, with a double negative (doesn't mean they can't) and so probably harder to understand than if I'd spent more time writing it. Sorry.)

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks for guiding me to Find and Replace. Perhaps I spent too long with Indesign where replacing took place in the text styles panel.

------

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Joachim_L,
You can delete styles and text styles in the program - that was never in question. What Tom Schülke was requesting is a way to delete unused text styles. There's no way to do this in the current Beta.

I'd like to see the ability added across the app to delete anything unused that is document-specific, like text styles, swatches and the like. Or even at least be able to select multiple items so you don't have to delete one at a time. I don't like having to scroll through lists of things I'm not using to find ones I need. It helps to keep the document clean and efficient. Perhaps this can be added to the wish list?