You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perspective grids

When playing around with new Beta versions, I stumbled into the cube grid setup. Oh wow, this is a very nice adaptation of the previously available isometric (only) grid so we're no longer limited to 30° lines and can still construct objects in any pseudo-3d grid we like. It seems like a very small step now (although I bet it's not) to add a bit of pinching to those cube definitions to facilitate the construction of perspective grids. Is there any possibility of that making it onto the roadmap?

I've had a further thought on this, and I think I might have guessed where you're heading with the solution for the perspective transform. Ok, so I was playing with an isometric-ish grid and moving flat objects onto grid planes. The next logical step, for me, is to be able to move objects from one plane to another, switching from front to side. I mean the objects clearly have current knowledge of which plane they are in so that the regular transform handles conform to that plane, the point being it "knows" it's real dimensions if it were face on, so despite the fact there's no way to return an object to the flat face-on plane, it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to be able to do so. Then once you can freely move objects from flat view to any plane and back again this gives you far more control if you wanted to change the underlying grid.

For example, say you start with a straight isometric view and build out some objects, and latterly decide you want a lower perspective, you can change the grid but you're stuffed when it comes to migrating your objects to the new grid. However, if they have a reference size described in the flat view, those objects could be transformed through that flat view and back into the newly defined grid planes.

Combined with the ability to "pinch" the grid cube to create non-parallel 3D grids you'd effectively be able to change the perspective on any 3D construction (with obvious certain limits).

This would be the type of thing that I see fitting under the umbrella of "wanting to do the right thing and not just copy how other software works (i.e. the perspective/warping tool)".

• 2 months later...

@thisleenoble Using the Isometric Panel objects can already be detached from one plane and snapped back onto a different one.

Using Symbols it is possible to work 'flat' and then have an instance that is snapped to an isometric plane.

I too hope that this gets extended to Perspective grids - that would be very powerful indeed!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 4 weeks later...

You know, if you could just add a button to revert a shape back to 2D projection that would go a long way to providing this facility in a workable way for small projects. Indeed, perhaps just option-clicking on the "Fit to Plane" button could reverse the process. You could squeeze that into a point update no?

Once it's possible to revert shapes back to 2D it would be possible to change the grid cube and fit back to the new planes. Sure, repetitive work if you have a lot of objects but so, so powerful. Do it! Do it now!