You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke bug?

I guess i've got a similar issue, but when I export to a pdf. I created some forms that have an outline stroke "inside". When i export the document the form is saved with the stroke outside. I've just tried the last beta, and the same error happens. I previous versions it worked fine!

I've tried to convert the forms to paths... Is there a way to get rid of the outline altogether and convert everything to forms like in Illustrator? I think its called "convert" or expand appearance or similar.

Here an image, that explains the behavior better:

post-742-0-26133700-1428950470_thumb.png

post-742-0-86913700-1428950484_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Aurelio,

You can manually select your items and choose 'Layer'->'Expand Stroke' which produces solid geometry from the lines, but the PDF exporter should have been doing this for you in this case so you could keep the lines editable in your original document... That's not working for you for some reason... Are your lines quite thin by any chance?

Thanks,

Matt

Hello Matt,

thanks for your help. No, the lines are not too thin imo. 2pt to be exact. I guess its a pretty normal value.

When i expand the stroke, i get the same error 00Ghz is mentioning.

I'll try to reconstruct the rounded hexagons with the new "round corner" option that has been integrated into affinity (which is absolutely great btw!). I'll see if the same error remains. I did them in illustrator and imported them into affinity before this functionality was available.

post-742-0-09518400-1429029957_thumb.png

Hm, something is really strange there... i've reconstructed the hexagons, this time so they look good when the outline is applied to the outside of the shape. But when I export as a pdf, this time the outline is being drawn to the INSIDE of the shape :D. The same remains if i change to outside, inside or middle position of the stroke.

post-742-0-54710500-1429032091_thumb.png

• Staff

Aha! *Maybe* there is a problem something along the lines of - start with a shape at one size, put the line on, resize to the size you wanted, then output and it's different versus just making the shape at the size you wanted... I'll look into it... :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Andreas Larsen, @00Ghz

No, there's no news yet. Some things, like this one, may require a complete rewrite or a different approach to get solved properly. Rushing things just to show something sooner won't help anyone. You guys will still not be pleased - because it will not work as well as it could - and certainly neither us... There's no point in providing a sub-par product.

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I encountered a similar bug that does not seem to be affected by whether the stroke is inside/outside/center, but rather rounded corners. When I expand a rounded rectangle, the straight edges "bulge" ever so slightly from the corners (the corners are fine).

Please see attached screenshot—the blue stroke is before expansion and yellow is after (green is overlap).

Thanks for looking into this :)

post-37460-0-03233300-1475704324_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

Same issue here. I hate to be that guy and I'm really looking to move away from illustrator, but Affinity Designer, as it stands today, is sadly almost unusable for UI design. Too many rudimentary bugs. Also nearly 8 months since this issue was posted and still no info or ETA on this bug. :(

post-35922-0-36342100-1482302494_thumb.png

Same issue here. I hate to be that guy and I'm really looking to move away from illustrator, but Affinity Designer, as it stands today, is sadly almost unusable for UI design. Too many rudimentary bugs. Also nearly 8 months since this issue was posted and still no info or ETA on this bug. :(

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-21 at 12.05.54 PM.png

Hopefully these things get sorted out. Its the one thing that makes Serif so unpredictable with what we think is the smallest things to fix get put on the back burner. You would think this is as important as any PSD or HDR improvement.

Squeaky wheel here...

Busenitz, I don't see this as a feature, I see this as a one of the basic cornerstones of a vector app's toolset... especially one that is as cutting edge, innovative and industry leading as Designer is.

...would really love to see some of these core and fundamental aspects nailed before adding "x" features and/or export/compatibility functions/workflow/you name it, etc... It's these "little" things that you do hundreds of times over the course of a piece that need to be solid. They're not sexy, they're not buzz worthy, they don't make for compelling video teasers but they are absolutely essential!  :-)

If some of the core structure needs addressing or rewriting as suggested above, in order to make some of this possible, I would think sooner rather than later is the easier course to follow. No? 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.