You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!
I am not very familiar with SVG and just now  I am only using affinity photo.

The situation:
- I am using a couple of logos and designs (but no photographies)  on a website which are now saved as PNGs. As far as I can see, there is now chance of receiving them in another format then PNG. For performance rerason i would like to have them as SVGs. Therefore I only see these solutions:

1) Saving them as SVG in Affinity Photo. That works, but it does not make them smaller. And I would like to use SVG because of reducing the size.
2) Creating them agein in Affinity Designer (Would be a lot of work, i suppose)

Is there any other solution?

Thank you!
rabox!

• Staff

Hi raphaelbolius,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
1) Their size comes form their raster data (the pixels). Saving them as SVG just "embeds" the pixel data inside the SVG file - it doesn't convert the images to vector which is what will reduce their file size.
2) Recreating them as vector in Designer will reduce their size but as you suspected it will give you some work. 

Another option is to use a trace program or service to trace them (convert the images into vector for you) like Vector MagicPotrace, Inkscape (open source vector app that includes an auto-trace feature), Image VectorizerVector MagicSuper Vectorizer 2 just to mention a few.

@raphaelbolius MEB's answer is pretty on point here. You need real vectors to have a size-benefit on the filesize. But be aware that svg's not always are smaller in filesize as its raster counterpart. It really depends on the graphics you are working with. Some graphics are smaller when saved as jpg. General rule of thumb: the more complex your vector-graphics are, the less profit you have from saving as svg. But that said: real svg vectorgraphics always remain sharp on all screen resolution and zoom levels.

There's also a difference between SVGs. You can optimize SVGs too. If you have some technical knowledge, search on google for SVGO. You can compress your svg's a lot in some cases. But as @MEB said, they need to be real vectors. Not raster.

BTW If you like to know more about rastergraphics vs vectorgraphics and the differences between them, I wrote a blog about it that might help you: https://www.wigglepixel.nl/en/blog/whats-the-difference-between-raster-and-vector-graphics/

Hope this helps