You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In a Title, how do I create a sort of marbling of color?

I'm on a Win10 computer. 
I'm an affinity photo newbie :) 
I'm working on a book cover and I want to have a sort of marbleizing of color, or a swirl of a darker shade within the color of the text of the title. 
I've tried adding shadows, and I can do that to the outside of the text, but not having much luck on the inside. 

You could play around with using an elliptical gradient as the Fill for the text. For example, here's a basically orange title with an elliptical gradient running from purple to orange applied:
image.png.229e0e16c63dda13d0a7f2b55f3babbf.png

Here's the Fill dialog (from the Context menu) that I used to do that:
image.png.dc91457bd0a252a6e823976bab8f2147.png

There are more complex ways to use gradients, so if that's what you want you might look at the tutorials, such as

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Alternatively make yourself some reusable Styles the way you want/need or reuse some already available here (take a look over the resources section or see some here, there are a bunch of those).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I guess it really depends on what your idea of "marbling" is.

I'd start with an image (or gradient or color splotches or anything with some variation) with roughly the palette you want (you can add in as you go).
Switch over to Liquify Persona and just let loose. You really don't even need any instruction. Just try all the tools. Can be as tame or crazy as you want.

marble.png.8e95adeaa288a944225a04c90b28e097.png

There are so many ways you could achieve this using layers/masks/brushes and vector elements:

Personally, Using just the graduation tends to look a but flat...you could try adding some texture or creating some additional vector elements to be layered with the text:

Added a sample sheet with a number of options...I am sure there are many more...but that's part of the fun!:)

1.If you want to just stick to vector..try combining small irregular shaped elements into a group and apply subtle transparencies and colour graduations separately to each element (You could use the style panel to help you with this). Use Text as Mask Overlay (Mask to Below on layers panel)..so non destructive effect

2. Create a Pattern Brush using a tiled pattern and add to Base Texture of Brush. Again use Text as Mask Overlay (Layers)/or Select text element in Pixel Persona (Selection Mask)..and paint into shape

3. Same method as 2 but use a textured brush (combine a selection of nozzles) created from other images or found in resources!

4. Use a combination of graduated overlays (graduated rectangular elements)+Vector textures (Grouped random patterns created from multiple shapes) + Texture Brush in Pixel Persona

Hope this helps

Marble effect@0.3x.jpg

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

An example from meanie50 would be good?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, StuartRc said:

There are so many ways you could achieve this using layers/masks/brushes and vector elements:

Personally, Using just the graduation tends to look a but flat...you could try adding some texture or creating some additional vector elements to be layered with the text:

Added a sample sheet with a number of options...I am sure there are many more...but that's part of the fun!:)

1.If you want to just stick to vector..try combining small irregular shaped elements into a group and apply subtle transparencies and colour graduations separately to each element (You could use the style panel to help you with this). Use Text as Mask Overlay (Mask to Below on layers panel)..so non destructive effect

2. Create a Pattern Brush using a tiled pattern and add to Base Texture of Brush. Again use Text as Mask Overlay (Layers)/or Select text element in Pixel Persona (Selection Mask)..and paint into shape

3. Same method as 2 but use a textured brush (combine a selection of nozzles) created from other images or found in resources!

4. Use a combination of graduated overlays (graduated rectangular elements)+Vector textures (Grouped random patterns created from multiple shapes) + Texture Brush in Pixel Persona

Hope this helps

Marble effect@0.3x.jpg

Wow, this is fab!! Thanks! Some of that may be a bit above my pay grade right now, lol... but I'll learn it!! :x

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You could play around with using an elliptical gradient as the Fill for the text. For example, here's a basically orange title with an elliptical gradient running from purple to orange applied:
image.png.229e0e16c63dda13d0a7f2b55f3babbf.png

Here's the Fill dialog (from the Context menu) that I used to do that:
image.png.dc91457bd0a252a6e823976bab8f2147.png

There are more complex ways to use gradients, so if that's what you want you might look at the tutorials, such as

Awesome... the gradient worked great. The name of the book is Bitter Prophecy so I wanted to convey the "bitter" with some darkness within the font. Thanks so much. Can you tell I'm still learning my way around. 
I tried so many different ideas on my project that I crashed the app, rofl.