You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why can I put an outline round a jpeg photo but not round a psd photo?

Is there some way I can change the psd file so it will?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

AFAIK nope, it doesn't work for embedded PSDs. - Only applying an outline via FX effects, but that then always produces rounded corners, which you might not want to have.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks but I got round it by drawing a QS rectangle round each one. Next time I will make sure i save the PhtoShop file as a jpeg.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

What exactly do you mean by "a psd photo"? A single layer rectangular or square photograph in the PSD file format; a multilayer PSD file, perhaps with some adjustment and/or vector object layers; something else? And are you talking about embedding it in an Affinity (Photo?) document so it has the "(Embedded document)" layer label, opening it directly in a new Affinity document, or something else? Finally, by "outline round" the file, what specifically do you mean?

There are ways in Affinity to do all these things, but without more details it is hard to know which one(s) would do what you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi jackamus,
By outline I'm assuming you refer to a stroke (not the Outline FX). The jpg is placed in the document as an Image layer type which is considered an object - like text, or a shape - you can apply a stroke (or a fill) to it as you do for all objects. The PSD file due to being a complex, layered file format is placed as an embedded document which you can NOT edit directly/change its attributes as it it was an object.

I created a doc,

I selected 'Place image tool' and chose a jpeg photo.

I then put a 1pt stroke round the photo.

Using the 'Place image tool' again I selected a photo that I had saved as psd image but could not apply a stroke s I did with the jpeg.

I assume that AD treats psd images differently from jpegs.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

12 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I assume that AD treats psd images differently from jpegs.

Yes, as MEB said, placed image files (JPEG, TIFF, PNG) become (Image) layers, and placed document files (PDF, PSD, AFPHOTO, AFDESIGNER, AFPUB, EPS, SVG, ...) become (Embedded Document) layers, and they act differently.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi jackamus,
Yes, as I explained above some file types (complex layered file types like PSD, SVG, PDF and Affinity's native files) are placed as embedded documents (look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the layers panel) and you cannot edit their attributes as if they were regular objects. Simple raster files however (like JPG or PNG) are placed as Image layers (again take look at the label in the Layers panel) which can be edited as regular objects, that is, you can change their attributes (stroke, fill) as you do for other object types like text or shapes.

Does that mean the only way to draw a line round a psd image is using a QS rectangle?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Yes I did notice the 'Embedded' label on the layer and that's when I noticed that it was only the psd images that were embedded.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Does that mean the only way to draw a line round a psd image is using a QS rectangle?

Not the only way, but probably the simplest :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
9 minutes ago, jackamus said:

If you want to keep it as an editable document, yes (which means you can double-click it on canvas and edit it in an independent document tab then close it and your changes will be reflected in the original document where it was embedded in).

If you right-click the embedded document in the Layers panel and select Rasterise, it will be converted (and flattened) to a pixel layer to which you can apply an Outline FX (note the corners will be rounded which may not be desired). Pixel layers also don't let you change stroke and fill attributes so this doesn't help much either. Either use a QS rectangle to draw the outline around it (or the Pen Tool as you prefer).