You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Twitterer @neilfairbrother is an Affinity Designer user after some advice about working with Apple Motion. He's tried exporting from Affinity Designer as PSD but says layers aren't maintained on opening in Motion. Are there other tips and tricks other Motion users can advise?

Thanks! Dale.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

I avoid using PSD exported from Affinity to Motion for that same reason. I am hoping there be better integration between the two in the future.

My only suggestion would be to export each layer as a .png file with transparency and then import them into apple motion as separate elements. group the elements that will be animated together. I also export a single still to place as a reference in the canvas just so you know where things are placed at the time of import. Yes, it a little more work, but it works just fine.

I covered a bit of this in this video awhile back 

Hmmm...this topic brings something to mind for me. Since Apple hasn't updated Motion 5 in years, I'm assuming (and yes I know what happens when you assume...lol) that the software is kind of on the back burner and not a priority. I have used Motion for years and even got my pro level certification in the app. Simon Ubsdell has some amazing tutorials on Motion (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c46tWEb2grLQ95OGLxBJQ) but I've had to turn to After Effects for motion graphics work. 

Wouldn't it be nice to have Serif also develop a real After Effects alternative?!!!!!!!  :)     My credit card is waiting to be billed  :))))))

Incidentally, since Resolve Lite 11, Nuke's non-commercial offerings and--after NAB2015--BlackMagic Design's Fusion 7 for the Mac are all available, I'm honestly wondering if Apple's not planning to do to Motion what they did to Aperture. Either that or fold Motion into FCP as an internal component.

They might just be waiting to work out H.265 for editing...and, yeah, you'd need a Mac Pro--or a fully-pimped out MBP or iMac--to run H.265 for editing, provided you wanted to do that.

Twitterer @neilfairbrother is an Affinity Designer user after some advice about working with Apple Motion. He's tried exporting from Affinity Designer as PSD but says layers aren't maintained on opening in Motion. Are there other tips and tricks other Motion users can advise?

Thanks! Dale.

In this video I actually walk through the steps.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

I avoid using PSD exported from Affinity to Motion for that same reason. I am hoping there be better integration between the two in the future.

I have to agree here. I would love to import an Ad file in to Motion and FCPX. I want to keep my vectors sharp as I import currently there is a hidden feature in Motion for Ai files that would do that exact thing. So may a way of exporting to an Ai file out of Affinity might be one solution but a native format would be awesome. 

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

In this video I actually walk through the steps.

Actually used that to explain things further when supporting Neil - tweet limits make it hard to explain everything but the steps were there at 20:00m in your video! :) Thanks to you, Ronny, and others for their support!

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

:) Thanks to you, Ronny, and others for their support!

We do what we can. Glad people are finding it useful. 

Allan

mystrawberrymonkey,

That was a great video! Really, well executed and very informative. I think many people will get a lot of return out of watching your tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

mystrawberrymonkey,

That was a great video! Really, well executed and very informative. I think many people will get a lot of return out of watching your tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ronnie..

Apple has just launched new Final Cut Pro X, Motion, and Compressor updates.

Some interesting stuff there.

:)  Have you checked them out yet? 

You're a busy guy then Miguel..

I would still like to see a grander update and even a bit of a speed boost in Motion. Many of the updates they make are  related to adding functionality to FinalCut. Motion X isn't going to go away anytime soon because of that fact.

If you did not know or realize Motion is a tool heavily used for creating plugins that can be utilized by Finalcut editors. Companies like crumple pop, MotionVfx , Mark Spencer of ripple training have  Master that part of the tool to create functionality that people can purchase and install in Finalcut.This overlooked functionality has allowed Motion Graphic and visual effects artist to do what they do best While creating functionality that editors can use.

Creating rigs was always one of my favourite things about motion. It's a flawed piece of software but I really do have a soft spot for it.

Considering Nuke I'd only just starting to get into the hand of more editors and motion graphics people, it also allows you to do that kind of thing. They're called gizmos

It's a flawed piece of software but I really do have a soft spot for it.

Boy do I agree with that statement lol

Yes, that at what MEB was referring to in the earlier post. I still want a 6.0 update, not a 5.something update I got some big hopes and dreams lol.