You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nikon D850 Raw and JPEG - Different size/cropped

I installed Affinity Photo for Desktop 1.6.11 on Mac High Sierra 10.13.5. I am new to this software.

I opened raw files taken by Nikon D850 (NEF file) and found that the image size is smaller than that of its JPEG version created automatically by the camera. I used "RAW + JPEG (Basic)" option in my camera.

How to fix this problem? Need help desperately.... Thanks!

How much smaller? Is the size reduction because it gets cropped at the edges? Or just scaled down? Can you view the NEF image in other apps? Is it smaller there?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

It's odd that the raw file would be smaller. Usually Affinity Photo uses more of the edge pixels that other processors omit, and so raw images in Photo are slightly bigger than the in-camera JPEG.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi all, Thanks for your prompt replies.... 

John - it's cropped at edge, i guess... pls check below images...

Walt - you are right! but i don't understand why part of the image is cut....

btw, if i change the raw engine from Serif Labs to Apple Core Image (Raw), the resolutions of raw file in Affiniti and JPEG in Preview will become the same.... Dose it mean I should use the Apple raw engine instead? 

In Affinity photo (8288 x 5520px):

image.thumb.png.f4c304eba96ad4e736ea5b39e0112162.png

In Preview (8256 x 5504px):

image.thumb.png.de697da0b70c290e3736e80d5fd5eaae.png

Yes, the D850 isn't yet among the supported cams for Serifs own RAW engine (see here). For supported lenses look here instead. - Alternatively you can try the APH customer v1.7.x beta which supports now the D850 via Serifs own used libraw engine (take a loook here).

However, since you are on a Mac you can switch to use instead Apple's system RAW engine which supports your cam, as you already did, for the APh v1.6.x release version.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

34 minutes ago, lcheng said:

you are right! but i don't understand why part of the image is cut....

You originally said that the raw is smaller than the JPEG, but when you gave us the screenshots the raw is 8288x5520 and the preview is 8256x5504. So the raw is larger, not smaller.

That's because the camera manufacturer considers the edges of the image sensor less reliable, and advises that a few pixels at the edges be omitted. Serif's raw image processor ignores that advice, allowing you to make the decision whether to crop the edges or not. Other processors do that cropping automatically, which can lose data you'd like to see.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, >|< said:

Different geometric distortion correction.

Hi there, does it mean that the difference in "image area" is due to the fact that Serif Labs and Apple Core Image (Raw) use different geometric distortion correction mechanism? Thanks a lot!

6 hours ago, >|< said:

Serif Labs engine creates a slightly larger image than the Apple engine - a sensor is slightly larger than its nominal size but the Apple (and many other) raw developers discard the extra outer pixels from the created image, whereas Serif retains them for the user to choose whether to crop them away or keep them. 

Lens correction doesn't make any difference to the quantity of pixels produced by a given developer, but it changes what is in these pixels.

Million thks >|< for details explained! 

Seems Serif Labs is "better" in terms of "amount of data".... Is there any way for me to get back the cropped part of the raw image opened with this engine?

2 hours ago, lcheng said:

Is there any way for me to get back the cropped part of the raw image opened with this engine?

NO, but you always have the original RAW file so you can use the other RAW engine as far as it supports your cam.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2