You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to find the "Current layers and below" button?

I keep finding tutorials will explain something, but the button layout they have is different from what I have. Yesterday it turned out to be a named tab, not a button.. heheh... but today the same kind of thing.

In this tutorial the lady mentions my problem, that a new pixel layer doesn't actually DO anything when editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyHvT_dfJ54

I've found an "edit all layers" button - but it doesn't seem to help?

I found a "All layers" checkbox. That didn't help either.

The lay shows there's a button for this, called "Current layer and below". She then clicks the button. Great - except on my screen I see no such button? All I see in that area is the option to choose the measurement type, which is currently set to pixels. There are no other buttons in that area of the screen.

Elp?

What tool are you using, or think you are using? 

Screen shot with annotation would help

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, AlanPC said:

The lay shows there's a button for this, called "Current layer and below". She then clicks the button. Great - except on my screen I see no such button? All I see in that area is the option to choose the measurement type, which is currently set to pixels. There are no other buttons in that area of the screen.

Note that at about 3:10 in the video, she has the Inpainting Brush Tool selected. With that tool selected, on the context toolbar there should be a two item dropdown menu toward the right with "Current layer" & "Current Layer & Below" choices. It sounds like you have some other tool selected, possibly the Zoom Tool (looks like a magnifying glass) or View Tool (looks like a hand) selected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Mm.

I'd used the pen tool to outline something, and was trying to create some blur in the background. 

I'd followed the basic concept of inverting the selection, so it was the background selected. However if the main background layer was selected everything was blurry, but if the new pixel layer was selected nothing was blurry. 

How to make adjustments only on the selection?

I'm obviously missing something on this whole "create a new layer so you don't damage the original" thing, as any adjustments to the new layer don't really DO anything, because it's a new layer... or something. But for some tools, sometimes, it does?

Argh.

58 minutes ago, AlanPC said:

I'm obviously missing something on this whole "create a new layer so you don't damage the original" thing, as any adjustments to the new layer don't really DO anything, because it's a new layer... or something.

The new layer is created without anything in it, so there is nothing in it to blur. (This was also mentioned in the video.) For what you want to do, duplicate the original layer instead (so you have an unaltered version in case you want to change something later) & use the selection tools & blur adjustments on the duplicate layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, AlanPC said:

that doesn't answer my confusion over how to apply effects to the selection-only?

If you have a selection ("marching ants") active, the effects should apply only to the selection, automatically.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you have a selection ("marching ants") active, the effects should apply only to the selection, automatically.

That doesn't appear to be the case?

OK, my steps:

I open a jpg...

Create duplicate layer of the background original

Turn off visibility of the original,

Select the duplicate layer.

Outline something, using one of the vast multitudes of selection thingies.

Have a marching ant outline of the thing selected.

Select "Effects"

Pick the G' blur thing

Slide it...

EVERYTHING IS BLURRY.

How do I make the selected thing blurry, or the non-selected things blurry (or other effects)?

Thanks 

I'm not actively trying to be awkward, just trying to get my head around the various different ways this thing works.

So if I select a LAYER, on the right hand side, and then select Effects, then the Gaussian Blur, that doesn't work on the area selected, but if I select Filters at the top of the screen and then 'Gaussian Blur'.. that does work on a selected area.

So 'filters' are not 'effects'? 

But Gaussian blur is both an effect, and a filter? The effect of a filter? Er...

So something "live" is NOT destructive? Oh I geddit, live as in live view? Not live as in activated or active? I see nothing under view... hang on... 

So which one IS destructive? OK, I've found "live filters", it's a tiny hour-glass symbol at the bottom of the layers and effects panel. If I hover my mouse over it, it says "Live Filters". OK, let's try that one..

Open image... live filter.. I didn't select anything,  try again, open image... object selected... live filters... Gaussian Blur Filter.. OK, that's blurring the selection. Cool. So if I invert the selection... so now the background has the marching ants thing.  Slide the slider...

No, that's just blurring the selection again?

*sigh

OK, so the "Invert Selection" button doesn't work when using a Live Filter on a Selection? Because it's live, or something? Right...

Alright, we're making progress, I think...

So if I make a Selection, then click Effects (right side), then choose a Filter, that does NOT affect the Selection, but if I click Live Filter (right side, little hour glass) then choose a Filter that DOES affect the Selection, but "Invert Selection" does not work? But if I click Filters (top of the screen) and then the Invert Selection button the Gaussian Blur Filter DOES affect the background?

Well I'm glad we cleared that up! :D

Thanks! 

*twitch

Update: Wifey just asked why I was looking so confused, so I showed her, how if I make a selection, then click the Effects thing, it doesn't affect the selection... except this time it DID? So I tried again, opened the image, made a selection.. and this time it blurred the whole pic again. It's like random or something?

Welp, that's enough for tonight.