You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spacing in between letters in PubBeta 238 for Mac

When creating a new document in PubBeta 238, all is well.

If opening up a previously written document, it collapses the spacing in between words, forcing me to re-type much of the document.  When I type in new text, the spacing is double the normal.

So...1) does that mean that any document brought forward from earlier versions is dead (or requires tons of re-writing), OR 2) this is just a glitch of Beta testing, OR 3) this is a legit concern? I don't like to bother the moderators with weird bits that aren't real bugs.  My apologies.  This happened to me on the earlier beta (moving up to the one before this) as well.

Two images attached to illustrate. The first one is inside the document in PubBeta.  The strange spacing forces the squiggly red underline, as it should.  The second one shows what's going on when that text is pasted ("paste special" command, with "unformatted text" chosen).

Any help would be appreciated, if it's not a bug. 
Thanks.

Strange spacing_1.png

Strange Spacing_2.png

Where is this text coming from?
It looks like there may be some hidden characters in there which are not removed by the paste special.

What happens if you first paste the text into a code editor (not a Mac text editor) to remove all hidden characters and then paste into APub?

I only have the screen shots, as I went in to the document and fixed everything already.  I also went into the Character Panel, played around with Tracking and Kearning (I think this is a tracking problem), but to no avail, so I just manually changed everything.  I had to re-write the entire document on the last Beta upgrade, but was hoping this new one wouldn't do the shrinking-spaces business.

Font is Optima. 

Thank so much for trying to help.

• Staff

Hi Occasionalpiece,

Unfortunately without a document in a broken state there isn't much we can do to see what might have been going on. However if you do find it does happen again when you upgrade to the next Publisher, could you please attach a copy of the broken document prior to saving or editing in the newer beta. If this does happen then please bump this thread, I can also supply you a link to upload the Optima font as well should it be needed.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Occasionalpiece,

Unfortunately without a document in a broken state there isn't much we can do to see what might have been going on. However if you do find it does happen again when you upgrade to the next Publisher, could you please attach a copy of the broken document prior to saving or editing in the newer beta. If this does happen then please bump this thread, I can also supply you a link to upload the Optima font as well should it be needed.

Thanks!

Will do.

I have a broken document from the previous iteration, but would rather send it privately. It lost its Master page in the transfer, and you can see all the font problems. But it is my work on my quilt pattern, and don't really want it out and about too much. 

Elizabeth

• Staff
10 hours ago, occasionalpiece said:

Will do.

I have a broken document from the previous iteration, but would rather send it privately. It lost its Master page in the transfer, and you can see all the font problems. But it is my work on my quilt pattern, and don't really want it out and about too much. 

Elizabeth

That's not a problem, if you could upload it to our internal Dropbox account using the link below that would be great, if you could also attach the font used that would also be really useful!
https://www.dropbox.com/request/MX5Es2VWtfngRruYiEWE

Thank you!

On 2/17/2019 at 5:21 AM, occasionalpiece said:

I wrote the text myself, in Publisher, two beta versions ago.  Each time we do a new Beta, it scrambles again.

So I copy and paste the offending passages into MSWord (stripping out formatting first), re-type it, and load it up in the messed up places.

Hi accassionalpiece

I've tried loading documents right from first beta into latest beta (1.7.0.238) and have not encountered any scrambling problem.
1)  When you type up your document, do you use styles.  If you had set the main text to Body, for instance, then when you've loaded the file and the result is 'scrambled'  but you say that typing in v238  is ok, then try making a new text frame, set the style to Body, type some text, format it as you want, then select the text, and go to The Text Style tab, select Body  and click on the Update symbol 

2077961312_Affinityresetstyle.PNG.71687e5e569fbd7fea775136642e24d4.PNG

2) More drastically, have you tried resetting Publisher by holding down Control [CTRL] while it's booting until the reset screen appears. I normally leave the top 3 ticked before clicking on Clear, but you might have to reset text styles too  or completely reset by selecting Select All before Clear to give a completely factory default Publisher.  You will lose your recent files list but it might solve your problem

372576867_AffinityPublisherresetscreen.PNG.de2e3d927937c4548840bd5f9b336270.PNG

I know you'r a Mac user and I'm on Windows but think it's worth considering unless experts tell you differently.

Pman

Windows 10, Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.0.238                      Affinity Designer Customer Beta 1.7.0.243                     Affinity Photo  Customer Beta 1.7.0.243

7 hours ago, Sean P said:

That's not a problem, if you could upload it to our internal Dropbox account using the link below that would be great, if you could also attach the font used that would also be really useful!
https://www.dropbox.com/request/MX5Es2VWtfngRruYiEWE

Thank you!

I uploaded it this morning, as well as a screenshot of what I see.

Thanks for your help.  Sorry to bother you if it's nothing at all--

6 hours ago, PMan said:

Hi accassionalpiece

I've tried loading documents right from first beta into latest beta (1.7.0.238) and have not encountered any scrambling problem.
1)  When you type up your document, do you use styles.  If you had set the main text to Body, for instance, then when you've loaded the file and the result is 'scrambled'  but you say that typing in v238  is ok, then try making a new text frame, set the style to Body, type some text, format it as you want, then select the text, and go to The Text Style tab, select Body  and click on the Update symbol 

2077961312_Affinityresetstyle.PNG.71687e5e569fbd7fea775136642e24d4.PNG

2) More drastically, have you tried resetting Publisher by holding down Control [CTRL] while it's booting until the reset screen appears. I normally leave the top 3 ticked before clicking on Clear, but you might have to reset text styles too  or completely reset by selecting Select All before Clear to give a completely factory default Publisher.  You will lose your recent files list but it might solve your problem

372576867_AffinityPublisherresetscreen.PNG.de2e3d927937c4548840bd5f9b336270.PNG

I know you'r a Mac user and I'm on Windows but think it's worth considering unless experts tell you differently.

Pman

Windows 10, Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.0.238                      Affinity Designer Customer Beta 1.7.0.243                     Affinity Photo  Customer Beta 1.7.0.243

All good things to try--thank you so much.  I figured I just had to wait until they were all done with their Betas before it would work.

I appreciate your help.

• Staff

Thank you for the document. After looking at it I can see that after every character where there should be a space, is instead a 217‰ tracking followed by the next word. Whilst this visually gives the look of a space character there isn't actually one there, so the spell checker is reporting an error because it sees all the words as a single one. See attached screenshot.

The reason you'll be getting extra spaces when retyping is depending on where you begin your click and drag it will apply that 217‰ tracking to every character!

I've tried loading your file in an old build (1.7.0.212) and it also gives the same behaviour. The only thing I can think is that the text was imported from a PDF or word so instead of adding a space, it instead added increased tracking. I don't think there is any issues with the font, but I think the issue lies in the source of the text and how it was brought into Affinity Publisher.

Screenshot 2019-02-22 10.57.06.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.