You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo performance on new iPad Pro 2018 with 6GB of Ram

I read that the last model of iPad Pro 2018 has a different amount of Ram depending on the storage size: the 1TB HD model has 6 GB of Ram.

Currently I'm using Affinity Photo on an iPad Pro 2017 (with 4GB of Ram) and it really suffers with huge PSD files with a lot of layers.

I'm wondering if the same huge files could be managed more efficiently by Affinity Photo on the new iPad Pro 2018 with 6GB of Ram, or if this means nothing on the app performance.

Thanks for the attention.

Thanks GabrielM for the kind reply.

I wouldn’t sound boring, but I really need a reply on this topic in order to make the proper decision for my near purchase.

I’ll try to explain more in detail my situation, hoping to help someone to reply to this topic.

Currently I’m working on a MacBook Pro Retina with Photoshop, to make huge artwork files with a lot of layers.

In mobility I’m working on a iPad Pro 10,5” (256 GB SSD, 4GB of RAM) with Affinity Photo, which is the only app that better meets my needs.

In the specific case, I have a PSD huge file size (1,5 GB file size, 7000x4200px, 400 dpi, CMYK) with really a lot of layers (about 160, between drawings, filters and adjustment layers) that understandably Affinity Photo on iPad take about 5 minutes to open and when it does the image shows all the layers, but at very low resolution (the pixels shown are very big, as if it isn’t able to render properly the image at right resolution). Moreover I can’t do anything  at the image (use brushes or other tools, not to hide and shows layers), because I suppose, the file is too huge to be managed by the app.

Now I’m wondering if the new iPad Pro 2018 12,6” (with 1TB SSD, 6GB of RAM and a more powerful processor) could improve the experience on Affinity Photo with such huge file, making possible to work on it properly, or if the extra RAM and powerful processor will not affect in any way its performances.

I hope someone will help me to understand. ^_^

Thanks for the attention.

I wouldn't sound boring, but I should really need this information in order to make the proper decision on my future purchase.

I'll try to describe my situation more accurately, hoping this could help someone to reply to this topic.

Currently I'm working on a Macbook Pro Retina with Photoshop, where usually I make huge artwork files with a loto of layers.

In mobility I'm using an iPad Pro 10,5" (256 GB, 4gb RAM) with Apple Pencil and Affinity Photo, that currently is the app that meets better my needs on the iPad. I love it because is the only one app that allow me to import huge PSD files in CMYK mode and let me shift between Affinity Photo on iPad Pro to Photoshop on Macbook Pro without any problem. 

More or less.... because a huge file like a 7000x4200 px at 400 dpi in CMYK mode (

Thank you very much for your help! At least I can see if the new processor can affect performances in some way. ^_^

Unfortunately I can't upload the file I've mentioned due to undisclosure agrrements with my client, but I've tried to replicate moe or less the same situation with another one: same canvas size, same dpi, roughly same number of layers. The file size although is lesser (460 mb instead of 1,5 GB, due to more simple images, I've drafted chaotic lines for quickness), but trying to open it on my iPad Pro 10,5" takes about 5 minutes and once opened the situation is the same: the app is unable to rendering the proper resolution, keeping a lot lower, and I can't hide or affect any layer.

I'm uploading the file right now, although I suppose it will be a long process.

Let me know and thanks again!

Thank you very much for the test! So the new processor seems to doesn't affect significantly the app performance....

In a theoretical line, could any increase of RAM improve the app performance in handlig such file size (I'm not so hardware expert to know such thing....)?

Or is it a limit due to the whole mobile device?

• Staff

I personally think it would be a mobile device limit more than anything. Regardless, 4GB vs 6GB will not make it 50% faster. Personally, I would not expect it to be much faster than a 4gb ram iPad, nor justify the extra £900 for what may be a few seconds (if any)of actual, real improvements. But that's just what I think, as we do not have a 1TB/6GB ram model to test it on.