You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.7.0.243

What OS are you running?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Tony77,

Are you getting any crash reports in:
%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports

Are you even being asked to submit a crash report?

Things to try:

1. Update your graphics drivers. Remove the existing ones first and then download and install fresh ones
  2. Hold Ctrl when you launch Affinity and click Clear when prompted
  3. Uninstall > Reboot > Reinstall

Looks like the same problem we encountered when upgrading our only Windows 8.0 PC to beta 243.

Windows error message appears just after "Loading fonts" message on splash screen.

Exact same problem on photo and designer 243 betas

No crash reports,
uninstall reboot reinstall no good,
ctrl run-up no good,
latest drivers

PC previously worked well on all 1.7 betas up to and including 231

Not too fussed about it as we intend upgrading that PC to Windows 8.1 shortly so will try again then

Not sure if you guys have a Windows 7 Pro PC to hand but you may want to test that beta (243) on that if have not done so already.

Windows 8.0 is no longer on your supported Operating Systems (minimum 8.1 now required) but a bit strange that it worked OK up to beta 231

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Looks like the same problem we encountered when upgrading our only Windows 8.0 PC to beta 243.

Windows 8.0 is no longer on your supported Operating Systems (minimum 8.1 now required) but a bit strange that it worked OK up to beta 231

We haven't actively added anything to prevent Windows 8.0 from working, but as we don't officially support it, we won't have tested it either (and I won't be working on fixes related to Windows 8.0 only either).

Look here please: Support for Windows 7 is ending

You can use Windows 7 but there will be no more updates available and I think when this support ends other software developers will no longer support Win 7 and development will not continue for this system and one day the software will no longer work under Win 7.
I've been thinking a long time about changing from Win 7 to Win 10 before i changed and i haven't regretted having changed to win 10 until today.

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

What are you going to do in January 2020 when Microsoft end support for Windows 7?

I have a few month to decide and prepare for a potential transition.
Besides, history shows us that this may well be extended. Also, I'm not a fan of OS tracking their users.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

What are you going to do in January 2020 when Microsoft end support for Windows 7?

I downloaded the latest customer beta 1.7.0.243 and it updated the previous customer beta.

When I click on the icon to load it, the new logo opens and it says it's ;loading fonts and after a few seconds it closes down.

What am I doing wrong????

Rudy

P.S. into task Manager it's not there.

The previous customer beta worked on my PC. I'm running Windows 7 Home 64 Bit

Did you installed new fonts or us programs for managing fonts as Suitcase Fusion or Nexus Font?

If you use them, try loading AP before those program. I had this problem on Win 10 (Suitcase or inDesign loading new fonts or lauched before AD or AP were causing trouble. But I thought it's solved, since I didn't have this problem anymore). On Win 7, Nexus Fonts and programs that check installed fonts seems to be a problem (lag, or unable to use, etc.).

I really don't understand the resistance of people to not upgrade to Windows 10? It's free and in my opinion is faster and far more stable than Windows 7 ever was. It also must cause a lot of headaches for developers to maintain compatibility to a legacy OS, which is very counter productive to the very reason they hold on to the old version in the first place! Affinity Photo is a modern program so run it on a modern OS simple as that.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

I really don't understand people asking about why we stay on an OS version when this forum is full of people staying on old OSes for running old programs, or because their companies don't want it for now, etc.

It's not he purpose of this thread, the main question is why AP stopped working on his computer.

14 hours ago, Wosven said:

I really don't understand people asking about why we stay on an OS version when this forum is full of people staying on old OSes for running old programs, or because their companies don't want it for now, etc.

It's not he purpose of this thread, the main question is why AP stopped working on his computer.

There are cases where older programs may not work (which from 7 to 10 is very few) but there are very easy ways around that (virtual machines) so I know where you are coming from. My point is the majority of people that are staying on an older OS for no apparent reason is not necessary and then they wonder why they have problems running newer programs? No offense really just an observance.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

49 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Yes, Affinity Photo 1.7 can work with Windows 7 Pro.

I also tried on a win 7 home and gives me the same error ..... I have to wait for the next update? .... or I have to perform some procedure to restore the operation?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.