Jump to content
boudewijndanser

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

Recommended Posts

Just my two cents on this : yes having a search replace color or even just a simple minimal search select with a popup to enter code value would be very welcome !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 8:44 PM, Marjolein said:

I'm busy cleaning up Cad files for hours and hours.

So you really don’t use an app that has a select same feature (and only use ADe for the rest)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi world, 

it's first time in this forum, i'm totally in love with AD, but this view is totally real. 

We can't live with group and subgroup all the time, can't we decide to have all on 1 level?

and untill it is not possible to select by color/fill/stroke it is useless for preprint, time is everything.

Love

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rebelde said:

first time in this forum

Welcome!

1 hour ago, Rebelde said:

Hi world

Oh, is there still a :272_cat2: world? ;-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all. I've written on this topic before, on one of the threads here. Although I can't say how well this will work for any of you, I've found a free software, that does do select fill, stroke etc by same color, and at least for my simple purposes the software will work for me. It's called Inkscape, and I'm sure you can do a search and find it. Maybe a little competitive pressure will get Affinity to move on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dennisqdw said:

Inkscape

We all know about Inkscape.  Many people on the forum seem to dislike it for one reason or another, most of them pointing to its user interface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with Inkscape, is that it's not Affinity Designer.  If the main attraction is AD, then switching to Inkscape for a single feature doesn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did something similar, opened my file in Illustrator CS5, then doing all the "select similar" I needed to find RGB strokes, changed them to PMS, save then reopen in AF. When I do MAP stuff or work from a CAD software the feature "Find Similar" is a MUST. There is so many element to clean. Also, when I change my mind about et Pantone, "find similar"  is nice to recolour and make sure the is no "wrong colour" left out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As maybe an easier to accomplish work-around (I have no idea) could we get the ability to select by the color labels we set? It won't help people importing files from other programs, but it would help designers building the design from ground up in Affinity in the same way as global colors. I could set all of the objects with a particular type of stroke to have the same color label in the Layers panel and then still group them separately according to my other organizational needs. If I could then "Select Color Label" I could adjust all of the strokes at the same time later.

1059730636_ScreenShot2020-07-08at11_12_46AM.png.cf68cd55189f854456221566fd8a8f32.png 

Edited by cleggwd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 4:23 PM, Kuttyjoe said:

If the main attraction is AD, then switching to Inkscape [or other apps] for a single feature doesn't work.

Because this is not the only feature many users are waiting for, we have to switch the app to do what AD is not able to do and switch back to do the rest. In the case of “Select same” not an easy step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, this thing has gone on for 6 years and is still not implemented?  I like AD, but honestly there's so much that can be done in Adobe's products that it makes it harder to justify going to an Affinity product, aside from price.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like how Adobe is handling things with their pricing structure or support in general, but their products do generally have a better workflow.  Not the same thing, but similarly I'm often CNTL+ clicking on a layer thumbnail expecting a selection of the layer's objects, but it all depends on what profile you're in.   Very awkward.  Too many steps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, psiclone said:

Wow, this thing has gone on for 6 years and is still not implemented?  I like AD, but honestly there's so much that can be done in Adobe's products that it makes it harder to justify going to an Affinity product, aside from price.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like how Adobe is handling things with their pricing structure or support in general, but their products do generally have a better workflow.  Not the same thing, but similarly I'm often CNTL+ clicking on a layer thumbnail expecting a selection of the layer's objects, but it all depends on what profile you're in.   Very awkward.  Too many steps.

i cosign with that. Adobe is controlling how we are using their product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to throw my 2 cents in. This is what I'd consider a pretty basic feature for an app like this. It's great to be able to create global colours and they work really well. But I had update 45 PDF files last week which I opened in Publisher and I had to select every line, fill etc and change to a global colour. Took me hours to do something that could have been done in a fraction of the time with 'find and replace'.

If it's assumed that Serif's plan is to steal users from Adobe then this should be given some priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris L said:

Just to throw my 2 cents in. This is what I'd consider a pretty basic feature for an app like this. It's great to be able to create global colours and they work really well. But I had update 45 PDF files last week which I opened in Publisher and I had to select every line, fill etc and change to a global colour. Took me hours to do something that could have been done in a fraction of the time with 'find and replace'.

If it's assumed that Serif's plan is to steal users from Adobe then this should be given some priority.

i cosign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its been countless times that selecting by same fill color would just work wonders for me.
Heres something that could be quite useful sometimes too - I am not sure if it is implemented, I cant find anything like this. Inverse OBJECT selection. Say you are selecting few elements and then by using inverse selection you could quickly select all the elements/objects other then you just selected. What do you think?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nezumi said:

Its been countless times that selecting by same fill color would just work wonders for me.
Heres something that could be quite useful sometimes too - I am not sure if it is implemented, I cant find anything like this. Inverse OBJECT selection. Say you are selecting few elements and then by using inverse selection you could quickly select all the elements/objects other then you just selected. What do you think?

 

I think we all agree but at this point we're talking to the void. Let's wait and see what happens whenever they decide to release an update with a worthwhile selections feature set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Captain's log.  Star date 2057, in the Affinity Sector D.  There are rumors that an enemy has developed a powerful selector weapon which renders our defenses obsolete.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Captain,

I believe it's origin is the adobe constellation. Word from the graphic-a system says it has the capability to select individuals turn them into groups and change their DNA.

Is this the weapon you are talking about 

 


Motto - STUPID HURTS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I Think the Developers have failed to understand that, this is the MOST IMPORTANT feature one needs while designing.

Sadly I still use my old Coreldraw version 16 despite loving and purchasing AD

either, They dont understand the importance or just cant do it with their layer management system we all love.

If thats the case, the moderators should come out and lock this post saying sorry guys its 6yrs we couldnt do it, we tried and tried, but looks like this feature can never be implemented.

And then Close this thread for good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.