boudewijndanser

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

This single Select Similar feature is enough to keep me going back to Illustrator. I want to convert completely. I'm even willing to sacrifice certain things, but this is not one of them. I can't rely solely on Designer to get work done efficiently unless this is added. I can not encourage others to switch either when basic feature requests like this just go ignored for 6 years. C'mon guys! Select same stroke color/weight!!! Select same fill color!!! This is basic stuff! Step up to the plate and get this done already. Pretty please!!!

@k2creative Yes - agreed! Over the weekend I wanted to update a 2014 Illustrator project. Took me 5 minutes to run into this absent functionality with Designer and realize that the task would take hours for something that should take seconds. With a shrug, I gave up.

Affinity Designer folks - might you be willing to leave a comment in this thread letting us know that our concerns are heard and that this feature is planned for 2020?

Pretty please?

On 1/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, MEB said:

We acknowledged the need for this feature, it was already said that it's planed for an upcoming version, anything else is just feeding expectations without having anything concrete to show at this point. Like other features, as soon as it's ready for testing it's added to the Betas for testing/feedback.

Over a year later and no sign yet

Yawn 🥱 

2 hours ago, Josh Neufeld said:

Thanks robinp - at this point it might be appropriate for Affinity folks to "feed expectations" with some specifics given the circumstances. 

Agreed. It would be helpful to know when we can think of checking back, or else continuing another year or two of Adobe CC subscriptions.

This function is one of those things that anyone seriously working with a variety of projects from different sources will need it often enough to justify not fully adopting Affinity without it. it’s just not worth losing endless hours of labor over a major missing feature when Illustrator can avoid all that. Until it gets added, Affinity Designer will remain a great tool for hobbyists and creators alone, and not as much those who collaborate more professionally with others in print and design where you often have to modify stuff someone else put together. 

At least I'm not the only one that is frustrated by this I guess. Apparently the Serif crew does not see this as a priority which is sad. I personally would rather have Select Same within Designer, than the entire Publisher app.

Client: "Can you make the stroke a little thicker on this clipart?"

Me using Designer: "Sure, I can do that. Just give me about 5 or 6 hours."

Also me using Designer (2 hours in): Damnit! I clicked a blank spot accidentally! Now I have to start selecting all over again.

Me using Illustrator: I just increased the stroke on all 652 objects while you were blinking.

8 minutes ago, k2creative said:

At least I'm not the only one that is frustrated by this I guess. Apparently the Serif crew does not see this as a priority which is sad. I personally would rather have Select Same within Designer, than the entire Publisher app.

Client: "Can you make the stroke a little thicker on this clipart?"

Me using Designer: "Sure, I can do that. Just give me about 5 or 6 hours."

Also me using Designer (2 hours in): Damnit! I clicked a blank spot accidentally! Now I have to start selecting all over again.

Me using Illustrator: I just increased the stroke on all 652 objects while you were blinking.

Personally, I was much more anxious for the release of Publisher. But that's now been quite some time. 

This feature really shouldn't be a big deal to implement. At least in a basic way that would be good enough for those of us asking for it. I suspect that Serif are wanting to blow the roof off with a product defining implementation of it or something. But if that's the case, I really just wish they would do something as a stop gap.

Unless of course this is true:

On 12/3/2019 at 7:59 AM, robinp said:

I’ve come to the assumption that there must be a fundamental flaw in the way they’ve implemented the apps to date which precludes the implementation of this feature. Otherwise, why the hell wouldn’t they have done it years ago. At this point many of us would probably settle for a commitment that it will come with 2.0 and have to pay again for it. At least we would then know!

Maybe it’s not that there is a “flaw” in their architecture, but maybe line they still “lack” something in it to build this Feature.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

2 hours ago, Mithferion said:

Maybe it’s not that there is a “flaw” in their architecture, but maybe line they still “lack” something in it to build this Feature.

Best regards!

In my opinion, this is a distinction without a difference.

3 minutes ago, Oval said:

time

On 8/20/2014 at 11:28 AM, boudewijndanser said:

It would be very useful to have functions to select the same:

• Color
  • fill
  • stroke (color / width)
  • Appearance

To quickly select all your outlines, or background element in 1 color. 

Speed is everything.  :)

Approaching 6 years...

And here is a new “information” from Serif:

20 hours ago, Dan C said:

Unfortunately Affinity doesn't currently support 'Select same' functions, my apologies.

Adding this feature as well as DXF-support would enable me to leave Adobe forever. For my illustration work as an architect I'm relying on importing and then quickly sorting thousands of lines exported from 3D-models.

Hope to see support for selecting by colour in the near future! Keep up the good work, Affinity-team! ❤️

I must have select similar. Now. This minute. End of today will be too late.

I can tell you, this program is ABSOLUTELY F**king USELESS without the menu that allows me to select by similar (stroke width, colour, whatever).

How can it be even marketed and how can you have the audacity to accept money for this? It CANNOT BE USED like this. Do you hear?

This point is crucial. It has shifted me from liking Affinity and telling people to get the products, to the complete opposite now. They’re not only bad, but dangerous. What if someone were to actually buy this product on my recommendation? That would be terrible. I can’t associate myself with using Affinity products now.

I still need to do select similar. It MUST be able to let me select similar. IT MUST.

3 minutes ago, Ian Tindale said:

This point is crucial. It has shifted me from liking Affinity and telling people to get the products, to the complete opposite now. They’re not only bad, but dangerous. What if someone were to actually buy this product on my recommendation? That would be terrible. I can’t associate myself with using Affinity products now.

I still need to do select similar. It MUST be able to let me select similar. IT MUST.

So there are Probably hundreds of people subscribed to this thread that you’re currently spamming with email notifications. We are with you though in sympathizing and outright frustration, this is a huge oversight on Affinity’s part, but given that it isn’t a priority for them, you’re going to need to just get a trial, month, or ongoing subscription of Adobe Illustrator, because that’s what all of us have to do without select similar.

Just now, Ian Tindale said:

When I can select similar, then of course I won't need to post in this thread.

I’m not saying don’t post. I’m just asking to please be considerate of others who, most likely, agree with the sentiment. 

We all want this feature and have done for years. Yes, I’m pretty fed up about it too. But receiving 10 email notifications in quick succession, visiting the thread and actually struggling to get to the most recent post because some of yours are so long the page crashes my phone browser and the page is reloaded repeatedly is just counter productive.