Jump to content
boudewijndanser

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

Recommended Posts

On 12/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, Patrick Connor said:

@Josh Neufeld

Welcome to the serif Affinity forums :) 

Perhaps your purpose for this software is defeated, but not the purpose, as it is used by many others. Hopefully you will find it does suit your needs once this popular request is added.

I would say the purpose for many users is defeated. It is like having a text editor without a find command. Essentially useless for many people.

For us, it is the primary use for a vector art editor. We produce drawings in CAD and then often edit the PDFs for presentation purposes. Our files therefore have 000s of objects, many of which have the same style. Selecting all manually is a non-starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

your is the term used for the plural you as well as singular singular you. I meant your use case, which clearly is desired by many not just you

Not when replying specifically to an individual unless you make it clear that it refers to a wider group. Especially when highlighting that their use is not the same as a universal use. If you had meant a wider group you would or, perhaps, should have said.

Is this really going to become a debate about semantics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any word from Serif or ETA on vector-magic wand/select similar functionality?

Is there any way to numerically vote for features? Many software companies have a feature request page where people can use up to 3-5 votes on the top features as a means of helping show the highest demand for the developers to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric Louw said:

Is there any word from Serif or ETA on vector-magic wand/select similar functionality?

Is there any way to numerically vote for features? Many software companies have a feature request page where people can use up to 3-5 votes on the top features as a means of helping show the highest demand for the developers to consider.

Serif does not publish any ETAs. The only reliable sign that a new feature is about to be included in the near future is that it becomes part of a public beta.

There is no voting feature and Serif have indicated that they set their priorities according to internal discussion (that to some degree may also include feature requests). Nevertheless they are monitoring the feature request section of the forum closely. So you can be sure they know about the features that have been suggested over and over again :)

Cheers,
d.


Affinity Designer 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.734)   |   Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.734)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.742)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.8.4   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dominik said:

Serif does not publish any ETAs. The only reliable sign that a new feature is about to be included in the near future is that it becomes part of a public beta.

There is no voting feature and Serif have indicated that they set their priorities according to internal discussion (that to some degree may also include feature requests). Nevertheless they are monitoring the feature request section of the forum closely. So you can be sure they know about the features that have been suggested over and over again :)

Cheers,
d.

Thanks. Pity they don't have a request prioritization system. They could still set their priorities according to internal discussion, but at least they'd have a concrete metric to gauge customer interest and potential buy-in. That's just the business side of me coming out though.

I appreciate the explanation, cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eric Louw said:

but at least they'd have a concrete metric to gauge customer interest and potential buy-in.

Perhaps, but that assumes that a statistically significant number of users participate in the forums, and would vote.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps, but that assumes that a statistically significant number of users participate in the forums, and would vote.

That seems to be an important point. Even though these forums are very active I have the impression that only a minority of the actual users of Affinity software are even aware that these exist. Nor do they care to participate (and that of course is totally OK).

OTOH some of the most requested (and discussed) features are also obviously (?) some of the most missing features :)

d.


Affinity Designer 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.734)   |   Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.734)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.742)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.8.4   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dominik said:

That seems to be an important point. Even though these forums are very active I have the impression that only a minority of the actual users of Affinity software are even aware that these exist. Nor do they care to participate (and that of course is totally OK).

OTOH some of the most requested (and discussed) features are also obviously (?) some of the most missing features :)

d.

It's not that hard to promote a feature request system once it exists if a broader input base is needed. Serif has email addresses for all of their customers, and there is an optional splash screen upon initially opening the software as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eric Louw said:

Serif has email addresses for all of their customers

Unlikely, as many of those customers have likely purchased through the Mac App store for example (or the iPad app store), and Apple does not share that information with the publisher of the software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fde101 said:

Unlikely, as many of those customers have likely purchased through the Mac App store for example (or the iPad app store), and Apple does not share that information with the publisher of the software.

Fair point, but that doesn't defeat the underlying point being made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eric Louw said:

that doesn't defeat the underlying point being made.

Granted, but the problem is that users are already complaining that they feel there requests are being ignored (they are not).

If Serif were to implement a system like this, users would expect the votes to set a priority of some kind.  In cases where features depended on other features that had fewer votes, or might not have even been in the catalog, if Serif starts rolling out features that are prerequisites for the high-priority features users will start to question why the priorities set by the votes are seemingly being ignored.

If high-priority tasks (as per the votes) are ones that take a long time to implement, and other lower-priority ones keep coming up, users again might start to believe their votes are being ignored.

In the end, because of the fact that Serif is trying to steer the products in a particular direction and not simply catering to popularity with a user base, a system like this is more likely to lead to additional frustration and complaints and I would expect it to backfire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Granted, but the problem is that users are already complaining that they feel there requests are being ignored (they are not).

If Serif were to implement a system like this, users would expect the votes to set a priority of some kind.  In cases where features depended on other features that had fewer votes, or might not have even been in the catalog, if Serif starts rolling out features that are prerequisites for the high-priority features users will start to question why the priorities set by the votes are seemingly being ignored.

If high-priority tasks (as per the votes) are ones that take a long time to implement, and other lower-priority ones keep coming up, users again might start to believe their votes are being ignored.

In the end, because of the fact that Serif is trying to steer the products in a particular direction and not simply catering to popularity with a user base, a system like this is more likely to lead to additional frustration and complaints and I would expect it to backfire.

And an active, 19-page thread from 2014 isn't already doing that? ;P

Other companies simply mark the items they're working on, and provide feedback for those items they aren't. No big deal, and so much more transparent/customer-friendly.

Some credible examples: 1. Adobe 2. Logos 3. Microsoft 4. Oculus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fde101 said:

Granted, but the problem is that users are already complaining that they feel there requests are being ignored (they are not).

If Serif were to implement a system like this, users would expect the votes to set a priority of some kind.  In cases where features depended on other features that had fewer votes, or might not have even been in the catalog, if Serif starts rolling out features that are prerequisites for the high-priority features users will start to question why the priorities set by the votes are seemingly being ignored.

If high-priority tasks (as per the votes) are ones that take a long time to implement, and other lower-priority ones keep coming up, users again might start to believe their votes are being ignored.

In the end, because of the fact that Serif is trying to steer the products in a particular direction and not simply catering to popularity with a user base, a system like this is more likely to lead to additional frustration and complaints and I would expect it to backfire.

All the reasons for not being more up front about things come back to the idea that their customers are really stupid. That’s not a great look. 
 

From my experience, you tell people honestly and thoughtfully what is going on, why something is happening or not and they are pretty good about Understanding it. 

What people absolutely abhor, is being managed like small children, especially when they are putting in quite a lot of time and effort to assist with the discovery and squashing of bugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 2:59 AM, robinp said:

[....] I’ve come to the assumption that there must be a fundamental flaw in the way they’ve implemented the apps to date which precludes the implementation of this feature. Otherwise, why the hell wouldn’t they have done it years ago. 

Of course you are totally right and this is still more frightening!. These however wonderful apps  lack a solid data structure on the back side. If they would have this structure, implementing this kind of feature is just a piece of cake. I can tell that because I did that that in an industrial  packaging design app some 15 years ago.

It would be really nicer and smart to tell us that our requests imply some serious work on app internals. 

Everything else in this thread is just noise and smog. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This single Select Similar feature is enough to keep me going back to Illustrator. I want to convert completely. I'm even willing to sacrifice certain things, but this is not one of them. I can't rely solely on Designer to get work done efficiently unless this is added. I can not encourage others to switch either when basic feature requests like this just go ignored for 6 years. C'mon guys! Select same stroke color/weight!!! Select same fill color!!! This is basic stuff! Step up to the plate and get this done already. Pretty please!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@k2creative Yes - agreed! Over the weekend I wanted to update a 2014 Illustrator project. Took me 5 minutes to run into this absent functionality with Designer and realize that the task would take hours for something that should take seconds. With a shrug, I gave up.

Affinity Designer folks - might you be willing to leave a comment in this thread letting us know that our concerns are heard and that this feature is planned for 2020?

Pretty please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, MEB said:

We acknowledged the need for this feature, it was already said that it's planed for an upcoming version, anything else is just feeding expectations without having anything concrete to show at this point. Like other features, as soon as it's ready for testing it's added to the Betas for testing/feedback.

 

Over a year later and no sign yet

Yawn 🥱 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Josh Neufeld said:

Thanks robinp - at this point it might be appropriate for Affinity folks to "feed expectations" with some specifics given the circumstances. 

Agreed. It would be helpful to know when we can think of checking back, or else continuing another year or two of Adobe CC subscriptions.

This function is one of those things that anyone seriously working with a variety of projects from different sources will need it often enough to justify not fully adopting Affinity without it. it’s just not worth losing endless hours of labor over a major missing feature when Illustrator can avoid all that. Until it gets added, Affinity Designer will remain a great tool for hobbyists and creators alone, and not as much those who collaborate more professionally with others in print and design where you often have to modify stuff someone else put together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least I'm not the only one that is frustrated by this I guess. Apparently the Serif crew does not see this as a priority which is sad. I personally would rather have Select Same within Designer, than the entire Publisher app.

Client: "Can you make the stroke a little thicker on this clipart?"

Me using Designer: "Sure, I can do that. Just give me about 5 or 6 hours."

Also me using Designer (2 hours in): Damnit! I clicked a blank spot accidentally! Now I have to start selecting all over again.

Me using Illustrator: I just increased the stroke on all 652 objects while you were blinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, k2creative said:

At least I'm not the only one that is frustrated by this I guess. Apparently the Serif crew does not see this as a priority which is sad. I personally would rather have Select Same within Designer, than the entire Publisher app.

Client: "Can you make the stroke a little thicker on this clipart?"

Me using Designer: "Sure, I can do that. Just give me about 5 or 6 hours."

Also me using Designer (2 hours in): Damnit! I clicked a blank spot accidentally! Now I have to start selecting all over again.

Me using Illustrator: I just increased the stroke on all 652 objects while you were blinking.

Personally, I was much more anxious for the release of Publisher. But that's now been quite some time. 

This feature really shouldn't be a big deal to implement. At least in a basic way that would be good enough for those of us asking for it. I suspect that Serif are wanting to blow the roof off with a product defining implementation of it or something. But if that's the case, I really just wish they would do something as a stop gap.

Unless of course this is true:

On 12/3/2019 at 7:59 AM, robinp said:

I’ve come to the assumption that there must be a fundamental flaw in the way they’ve implemented the apps to date which precludes the implementation of this feature. Otherwise, why the hell wouldn’t they have done it years ago. At this point many of us would probably settle for a commitment that it will come with 2.0 and have to pay again for it. At least we would then know!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it’s not that there is a “flaw” in their architecture, but maybe line they still “lack” something in it to build this Feature.

Best regards!


You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mithferion said:

Maybe it’s not that there is a “flaw” in their architecture, but maybe line they still “lack” something in it to build this Feature.

Best regards!

In my opinion, this is a distinction without a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.