Jump to content
boudewijndanser

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

Recommended Posts

+1 This is something I use on a daily basis in illustrator. When I first opened AD I presumed this feature existed. This one as well as editing paths/curves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi MEB,

I have been watching this thread since it started, because the lack of this particular feature is what is preventing me from switching from illustrator to Affinity.

 

I understand the small team issue, but we have been waiting for three years, and this is essential for people who import vector files that were created elsewhere, for example pdfs and just about any output file from GIS software. Exports always come with totally screwed up layers containing hundreds to thousands of objects, and being able to select objects by stroke and color is the only way. 

 

We are planning to get the Affinity suite for our entire department (staff and students), but we will not be able to switch from Adobe until such a feature is implemented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a marketplace where you're up against "The Goliath" Adobe Illustrator I would've thought this would be great for boosting user acquisition. If people are looking to support the "David", AKA the more innovative, nimble guy AKA AD it should be made as easy as possible to transfer that existing work, right?

 

This seemingly minor feature is high impact enough that it makes me hesitant to drop Illustrator (despite having bought AD and enjoying many other great features). Please, please, please bump this up the priorities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also recently switched from Illustrator do AD and pretty much assumed that this is was possible. This thread started over 3 years ago and nothing has been implemented so far, so this topic doesn't seem to be very relevant to the developers. It is a big enough issue for me to switch back, which I really didn't want to do, but adding on to what people before me have said here: it is VERY essential!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the AD team response, I suspect that they initially botched up by not thinking a minute about this feature and decided on a data structure that makes this kind of automated selection impractical to code or horribly slow to run. Now they have either to recode vast portions of the program or set up a dual, redundant data structure to handle this (fast but memory-hungry).

Of course that's just speculation. But otherwise I don't see why after four years they still haven't implemented this obviously essential and much requested feature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Manulski, Pioof,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The dev teams are committed with the roadmap/plans defined for the 1.x cycle. There's plenty of other essential/requested features  - depending on each user needs/interests - and we have implemented quite a few already (not included in the initial roadmap) but our dev team/resources are limited. We can't address all requests at once. There's also features that depend on other parts of the code to be completed/expanded to be implemented or on the development/conclusion of other apps of the suite to be ported back/interaction. Please bear with us while we work on them. Selection by attributes will come in a future update/version when possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Manulski, Pioof,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The dev teams are committed with the roadmap/plans defined for the 1.x cycle. There's plenty of other essential/requested features  - depending on each user needs/interests - and we have implemented quite a few already (not included in the initial roadmap) but our dev team/resources are limited. We can't address all requests at once. There's also features that depend on other parts of the code to be completed/expanded to be implemented or on the development/conclusion of other apps of the suite to be ported back/interaction. Please bear with us while we work on them. Selection by attributes will come in a future update/version when possible.

 

That's a lot of words for "still nothing". I understand, but man it's a bummer. Would really love to actually use this app full-time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MEB

 

Thank you and the team for the hard work you are putting in. I noticed that a lot of time is going into the iPad suite of Affinity apps. It is good for marketing and getting a larger market to be sustainable. I understand that. However, having started using Illustrator at 5, I find that I really miss this feature. As a graphic designer who does renderings in 2D for buildings, infographics and multiple Web and mobile UI designs, I find that with some object oriented thinking and symbols, I can deal with "select the same ____". But if I get a graphic design where the designer didn't think like me, then I am in trouble. I have to do a tedious "select and group", breaking the design work in the process.

Is there a work-around way to "select the same ____" that you might know of and share as we wait for this feature.

 

Please add this feature request to the Common Feature Requests. I think we will bother you less on this forum thread. I did not find it.

Edited by Afrowave
Forgot last point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Afrowave said:

Is there a work-around way to "select the same ____" that you might know of and share as we wait for this feature.

Afrowave,

 

The only thing that I've been able to come up is to isolate similar items that I might want to change later all on their own layer. This doesn't always work of course but in some cases it can help make it easier. 

 

Best of luck,

Hokusai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2015/8/5 at 10:51 PM, MarkEwi said:

ok, thanks for your answer! I just bought Affinity Designer more because I like the potential it has... But not having features likes that makes it unusable in working-production. Maybe you should add something like that before adding other new cool features ;)

I agree with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, davision said:

Yeah, we need essentials more than some fancy woo woo.

 

@davision,

 

can you please name examples of 'some fancy woo woo' that was introduced lately thay you think is not essential to AD's functionality?

 

d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 (beta 1.7.1.390) - Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 (beta 1.7.1.390) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.399

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2018 at 7:05 PM, dominik said:

can you please name examples of 'some fancy woo woo' that was introduced lately thay you think is not essential to AD's functionality?

I'm not davision, but I'd say that the ability to rotate the canvas (rather than the object after you've created it) is not an essential functionality. Similarly, adding and editing a pressure profile curve along any path is certainly nice to have, may speed up certain effects, but its absence won't block you from using the app.

The inability to do multiple selections based on color/weight/appearance/... is a showstopper for anybody working with complex documents, especially when editing these documents, not creating them. Right now AD is ok for simple layouts like web site graphics, or for some illustration projects. It's completely inadequate for even moderately technical projects, which I believe is the most frequent use of AI. They'd get more long-term customers and revenue from this population of users with a few features crucial for power users than with new brushes or texture effects.

Right now I don't mind, I'm still working fine with AI CS6. When it'll stop working completely because of OS change, I'll go back to Affinity to see what they've been up to in the meantime. See, I'm even checking right now out of pure curiosity...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pioof said:

but I'd say that the ability to rotate the canvas (rather than the object after you've created it) is not an essential functionality. Similarly, adding and editing a pressure profile curve along any path is certainly nice to have, may speed up certain effects, but its absence won't block you from using the app.

 

Hello @Pioof,

 

thanks for chiming in, even as a non AD user.

 

From a long discussion about pens and pressure profiles not so lang ago (there was a problem with certain drivers) I know that there are many users who would miss 'rotate canvas' and 'pressure profiles' a lot :)

 

The goal for Affinity's programmers is to balance all the different use types. This inevitably leads to missing features all over the place and all we can do is wait until they are available. And to post and vote in this section of the forum to make a point :)

 

I do not mind to find and use a workaround if a feature is not there. But in regard to 'select same' it is hard to find one. Except for using 'non-AI' (which is not Adobe Illustrator but 'non-artificial-intelligence'. In other words, me, doing it manually ;)) And there are scenarios with a huge amount of 'same to select' where a manual approach is not possible. For those cases I still keep my old CS6 around and don't mind using Illustrator to get the job done. After all, I once paid for it so why not using it?

 

I am sure Serif will come up with something clever for 'select same' that perhaps even offers a 'find and replace' functionality. Who knows?

 

Cheers,

d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.0.367 (beta 1.7.1.390) - Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367 (beta 1.7.1.390) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77    ...    Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.399

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dominik said:

 

Hello @Pioof,

 

thanks for chiming in, even as a non AD user.

 

From a long discussion about pens and pressure profiles not so lang ago (there was a problem with certain drivers) I know that there are many users who would miss 'rotate canvas' and 'pressure profiles' a lot :)

 

The goal for Affinity's programmers is to balance all the different use types. This inevitably leads to missing features all over the place and all we can do is wait until they are available. And to post and vote in this section of the forum to make a point :)

 

I do not mind to find and use a workaround if a feature is not there. But in regard to 'select same' it is hard to find one. Except for using 'non-AI' (which is not Adobe Illustrator but 'non-artificial-intelligence'. In other words, me, doing it manually ;)) And there are scenarios with a huge amount of 'same to select' where a manual approach is not possible. For those cases I still keep my old CS6 around and don't mind using Illustrator to get the job done. After all, I once paid for it so why not using it?

 

I am sure Serif will come up with something clever for 'select same' that perhaps even offers a 'find and replace' functionality. Who knows?

 

Cheers,

d.

Ow yes! Find and replace, this should happen! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×