boudewijndanser

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

Affinity Design please reply to indicate what the timeline is for this feature. I am considering requesting a refund. I bought this to use instead of illustratorand consider this an essential feature. Without it going back to ai will just be necessary.

I totally agree that "Their tone and way of communication is very educated and customer oriented." the problem is that they just do no give any real answer to the question. In other words they have a very polite way to tell us "hey guys we just do whatever we want whenever we want and if you are not happy, get F...." PERIOD

10 hours ago, Oval said:

Like this: We thought that Affinity Publisher will be available in September 2015 as published by Serif.

This is perhaps part of the reason why Serif has adjusted (or changed) their way of what they communicate about future features and the roadmap(s). (To those who are not familiar with the development and release history of Affinity Publisher: it was eventually released in 2019).

I am sure no matter which way of communication with customers a company chooses there will always be people around who complain about it.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.514)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.514)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.518)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

11 hours ago, joelstrouts said:

Affinity Design please reply to indicate what the timeline is for this feature. I am considering requesting a refund. I bought this to use instead of illustratorand consider this an essential feature. Without it going back to ai will just be necessary.

If you’ve only recently bought it, I would go for the refund. You’re likely to get that whereas a comment from Serif on when this feature will be implemented is... well... incredibly unlikely based on the evidence of this very long discussion.

I’ve come to the assumption that there must be a fundamental flaw in the way they’ve implemented the apps to date which precludes the implementation of this feature. Otherwise, why the hell wouldn’t they have done it years ago. At this point many of us would probably settle for a commitment that it will come with 2.0 and have to pay again for it. At least we would then know!

3 hours ago, dominik said:

people around who complain about it

Yes, because it is marketing. People thought they could use the announced suite in 2015, then in 2016, then in 2017, 2018, … and we still can’t use it because of missing features and bugs. But that communication did not stop. But on the contrary: With words like “Hochleistungsmotor”, “bahnbrechend”, “revolutionären Software für professionelles Desktop Publishing. Von Zeitschriften, Broschüren und Büchern über Poster, Berichte und Briefpapier bis hin zu komplexen Publikationen – diese intuitive App bietet alles” you have to expect criticism.

1 minute ago, Oval said:

you have to expect criticism.

I'm sure 'they' put the same effort into criticising their dandruff shampoo brand ;) (not to mention car manufacturers).

d.

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.514)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.514)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.518)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

11 minutes ago, dominik said:

I'm sure 'they' put the same effort into criticising their dandruff shampoo brand ;) (not to mention car manufacturers).

Let's hope not,seems a busy life to me and one could die of opinionated stress disease

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1909)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

16 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @DomD,

I want to disagree with this statement. Serif has numerously explained that and why some features are not implemented yet. Serif's developers and other staff are participating in this forum. Their tone and way of communication is very educated and customer oriented. I say this because I am reading the forum for several years. I do not quote any of these postings in mind but can give you examples if required.

What is not there is a feature to select/filter objects according to their properties. But this is not questionable, perhaps disappointing to some of the users.

BTW, I would very much appreciate this feature, whatever way it is implemented.

Cheers,
d.

I agree with Dominik. Serif staff commitment to their users is outstanding and simply doesn't compare to any other app developers I know. It's one thing to make your point and express how the lack of a certain feature affects you, as I did, but to doubt their commitment because they don't implement what you're asking for straight away is unfair to say the least. We should make our points but ultimately trust their judgement. If they can't implement it now it's because they have a good reason. I trust this team.

I've replied several times on this thread, and other threads in the feedback forums. Here's a copy and paste of my response that I gave in the DXF export request thread:

I've mentioned this a few times now, but Designer was released 5 years go, and since then we have continually added new features and bug fixes, for free. I understand that in this thread, people are disappointed about the lack of DXF Select Same support, and in other feature request threads you'll find other disappointed users. However, we have to balance our work loads and prioritise features over other ones. That doesn't mean we aren't listening, it just means we're busy. When Designer shipped it didn't support Artboards, Symbols, Assets, Arrow Heads, Multi-Fills & Multi-Strokes, etc. And these were all requests that came from users (you can find the old feature request threads on these if you search). 

15 hours ago, joelstrouts said:

Unfortunately we don't comment on timelines for potential new features or updates, as it inevitably will lead to disappointment among some users if those deadlines aren't met. We want people to be happy with their purchases, so if that's not the case then feel free to reach out for a refund. 

On 12/3/2019 at 7:29 AM, robinp said:

Where and how do I pay to get this feature added?

If you are in a rush, try one of:

• www.adobe.com
  • www.vectorstyler.com
  • www.coreldraw.com

Otherwise, you may need to be patient.

Just now, fde101 said:

If you are in a rush, try one of:

• www.adobe.com
  • www.vectorstyler.com
  • www.coreldraw.com

Otherwise, you may need to be patient.

I feel somewhat like many of us have been very patient.

Obviously I was referring to it being added to Designer.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:29 PM, robinp said:

Where and how do I pay to get this feature added?

I am not sure if this is rhetorical, or not.

But if not, my stab at it is that firstly your money won't move the AD team so much. Years of requests may have proven that. Secondly as stated by @fde101 some companies already have this in place, I suspect with varying degrees of features and complexity, but there nonetheless.

1 minute ago, jamesholden said:

I am not sure if this is rhetorical, or not.

But if not my stab at it is that firstly your money won't move the AD team too much, years of requests have proven that. Secondly as stated by @fde101 some companies already have this in place, I suspect with varying degrees of features and complexity, but there nonetheless.

It was mainly rhetorical, picking up the point from @Mark Ingram about how we've had years of free updates.  This is a common argument made but is more whattaboutery than an actual answer. If they feel hard done by for providing free updates, or for that matter, feel like it exempts them from criticism then I think it is really rather misguided.

I was trying to make the point that a) we don't get to choose or not whether updates are free or not and, b) that I and many others would happily to get an update that includes this feature.

I will continue to wait with my wallet at the ready if needed.

34 minutes ago, robinp said:

It was mainly rhetorical, picking up the point from @Mark Ingram about how we've had years of free updates.  This is a common argument made but is more whattaboutery than an actual answer. If they feel hard done by for providing free updates, or for that matter, feel like it exempts them from criticism then I think it is really rather misguided.

I was trying to make the point that a) we don't get to choose or not whether updates are free or not and, b) that I and many others would happily to get an update that includes this feature.

I will continue to wait with my wallet at the ready if needed.

I too wonder if they'd just charge more (frequently), wouldn't they then, by increasing resources, be able deliver more (frequently).