boudewijndanser

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

3 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, in the end, there was NOT Adobe that developed the first kind of UI that most of painting/graphic/publishing companies use today... 

Look in the rear mirror and you will see that Aldus, Adobe and several other companies has stolen a lot of things from the earlier developed apps... 

I said "it's clear where the inspiration comes from", I said nothing about stealing, that is your interpretation.

This very design and app layout were, however, invented by Adobe fyi. Aldus created PageMaker that Adobe maintained for a while, then created it's own K1, now known as InDesign. And Photoshop indeed was originally creation of two brothers, Tom & John Knoll (John worked for ILM) who sold it to Adobe and Thomas works for Adobe to this day.

For fun:

IMG_0958.thumb.JPG.df33c699fedf9d513dacca06ba2ce87d.JPG

IMG_0959.thumb.JPG.8e79bab560342bb11d96c677520447ac.JPG

Scans by Kevin Savetz

44 minutes ago, CLC said:

I said "it's clear where the inspiration comes from", I said nothing about stealing, that is your interpretation.

This very design and app layout were, however, invented by Adobe fyi. Aldus created PageMaker that Adobe maintained for a while, then created it's own K1, now known as InDesign. And Photoshop indeed was originally creation of two brothers, Tom & John Knoll (John worked for ILM) who sold it to Adobe and Thomas works for Adobe to this day.

For fun:

IMG_0958.thumb.JPG.df33c699fedf9d513dacca06ba2ce87d.JPG

IMG_0959.thumb.JPG.8e79bab560342bb11d96c677520447ac.JPG

Scans by Kevin Savetz

I believe my memory (been with computers since 1982), but there where similiar windowsbased drawing apps before mr Knoll & Knoll invented PS...

20 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

I believe my memory (been with computers since 1982), but there where similiar windowsbased drawing apps before mr Knoll & Knoll invented PS...

Not using this ui and system though.
107_toolbar.gif.25482f8cf4dfaae64fdcdd25e3164123.gif251_toolbar.gif.017630e6fa56f53e8d1df800ae363091.gif55_toolbar.jpg.3b73c524de1295d3e89a10236d835b20.jpgmacpaint_screenshot.png.90db0842bfb69d6896589aefda4f8b2e.png

Going too off topic, so I won't continue this.

I still believe Select by... should be implemented and hope that developers (or marketing people of Serif) or whoever is deciding will decide to add this so Affinity users who need the feature (and I'm one of them) will be finally happy.

8 minutes ago, CLC said:

Not using this ui and system though.

UI?

Was pretty alike Mac Paint from 1984 ;-)

What I mean is that almost nothing new is invented from scratch, it’s a twist and improvment of the present technology that exists...

Apple does not invented neither the smart phone or touch interface phone, but, they made it a success and improved current tech a lot...

It's a planned feature. The only thing you could feel bad about is that we don't know when it's going to be a reality.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

On 7/24/2019 at 10:27 PM, JGD said:

It doesn't? Wow. I'm itching to fire up a trial here and check out just how botched it is, then.

If it's as bad as you described it, it's yet further motivation for Serif to come up with the “spiritual successor” to FreeHand's selection dialog boxes at some point. ;) It would trounce the competition, no doubt about it.

Yep, even for $500.00, you don't necessarily get what might seems like such a necessary feature.  People have been wishing Corel would add it, and making macros for decades.  Corel still hasn't implemented. Meanwhile they're doing all sorts of other things, including creating the entirely new Mac version of Coreldraw.  That feature is never going to come to Coreldraw.  There's no reason to think that it will after all this time.  The same is true with Affinity Designer.  People begged for it in the days of DrawPlus, then continued begging for it in Affinity Designer.  Anything is possible, but there's no reason to think that it's ever going to happen.  Or maybe, you'll be retired before it happens.

On 7/29/2019 at 7:04 AM, JET_Affinity said:

You obviously have no idea how long it took Illustrator to acquire its meager Select Same... commands—and many other things people here call "must have deal breakers." ;-)

JET

I've used that feature for decades and I've never felt that it was meager.  People are begging Serif for it for 10 years.  People were begging Corel for it for much longer.  I don't know or care how long it takes to create the feature.  I just know how useful it is, and that it's not meager in Illustrator.  We may all hate the subscription model but we all must still be thankful that Adobe exists since they're the only company offering the features that everybody else is begging for!  So what happens if Adobe goes away?  Many people will go from getting their work done with expensive tools, to not being able to get it done at all because there are no other tools that can do the work.  

On 7/31/2019 at 3:47 PM, ErrkaPetti said:

UI?

Was pretty alike Mac Paint from 1984 ;-)

What I mean is that almost nothing new is invented from scratch, it’s a twist and improvment of the present technology that exists...

Apple does not invented neither the smart phone or touch interface phone, but, they made it a success and improved current tech a lot...

Isn't the last screenshot actually of Mac Paint?

I mean, compare it to the screenshot on its Wikipedia entry; it is Mac Paint. So… you're absolutely right, Apple came up with that UI, in 1984.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPaint#/media/File:MacpaintWP.png

On 7/31/2019 at 4:33 PM, Mithferion said:

It's a planned feature. The only thing you could feel bad about is that we don't know when it's going to be a reality.

Best regards!

And the length of time it is taking.

What has this thread become, oh my...

I think the original purpose is really mudded at this point, with free etymology- to Adobe history classes, whereas it is pretty clear: as a decent vector drawing package, a lot of users (myself included) are either

- getting the base linework from someone else (a client sends it to you, or it is provided by the government, or a consultant firm, the possibilities are endless)
- are doing other stuff as a living (architects, urban planners, data scientists, etc.), and create the linework in another application(s) (CAD, BIM, GIS, etc.), which they would want to recolour, restyle, etc., to fit the branding of the project for example

so we need a system to sort the often tens or hundreds of thousands of random objects to be able to apply global colours, groups, folders, <any other relevant Designer feature>, to work with them, because Designer is a good illustration software, that's why we are here at the end...

Right now, this is basically impossible. Let me rephrase, so time consuming, that it is not financially/time-wise feasible.

That's it. 

I honestly don't get why this is a "pet-feature" to anyone...

–––

[~off-topic]

A lot of people mentioned other use cases, other software for inspiration, e.g. I've provided another example how it is done outside the Adobe ecosystem (ARCHICAD) in an extremely robust and simple way, to illustrate that it is the idea of doing batch selections for sorting that matters. If Serif comes up with a unique system, I'm all happy. Not having anything is really sad and extremely counter-productive on the other hand.

What I find sad too, is the indefinite state they let the users in. In two weeks we could grab a beer and celebrate the 5th anniversary of this thread. Still, the moderator only can say what he did when Publisher was pushed back again and again and again and again and...: it's done when it's done. As others, I'm in the construction industry too, where scope, budget, and deadline are fixed things. I also do scripts for automation and custom objects for our workflow, so I think I have a vague understanding how software development differs in these terms (scope, budget, deadline). What I don't understand is the lack of transparency - we can debate about this later, whether it is the appropriate phrasing of my thoughts in English, but it a simple question: is this/a similar feature or a set of features coming that fulfil the initial request , or not? It's binary to me: yes/no. No? Fine, I won't bother this thread anymore, and continue using Photo and Publisher. I get, that you won't give us further information, you've made that clear thousands of times, but not answering a simple yes/no to these ones are just getting ridiculous at this point. 

To me two good examples of how to manage expectations and requests are McNeel with the Rhino forum (I can see a few user names from Discourse here, they can agree/disagree) and the Corona dev team (former Render Legion, now Chaos I think). The Corona development has an open Trello roadmap here for example: https://trello.com/b/dgI8vjDb/corona-road-map-cinema-4d I find both situation really-really comforting, knowing that they do listen (yeah, there are issues there too, of course).

As someone who bought the complete suite, I honestly don't like the way Serif treats user requests (specifically this one), but that's my problem I guess, which I can manage.

What I consider disturbing on the other hand is the hostility of the "100% satisfied" users towards this very reasonable request and the people voicing their concerns.

–––

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

macOS High Sierra 10.13 | iOS 11 | latest Affinity Photo & Designer & Publisher Beta

On 8/7/2019 at 2:40 AM, furtonb said:

What has this thread become, oh my...

What I find sad too, is the indefinite state they let the users in. In two weeks we could grab a beer and celebrate the 5th anniversary of this thread. Still, the moderator only can say what he did when Publisher was pushed back again and again and again and again and...: it's done when it's done...

As someone who bought the complete suite, I honestly don't like the way Serif treats user requests (specifically this one), but that's my problem I guess, which I can manage.

Hard, hard agree. I've long given up on ever using this software again. At this point, it's the principle. I tell everyone I can about this absurd story of the simple feature that never was. I'm only subscribed to the thread to see how far it goes. Cheers, everyone!

I also really need this feature since I use it almost everyday(Using Adobe Illustrator), as I usually work on designs that were done on other software like CorelDraw & Ai, but at the same time I appreciate the work done by Serif; StudioLink, Save History, Snapshots, the Speed of the apps, and many other things that cannot be found on Ai or CorelDraw, but at the same time I still wish to have this feature as soon as possible, and hope that Serif hear us and know the importance of this feature for many users.

Posted (edited)

Let me add my voice to the infernal chorus (we sure ain't divine!) respectfully requiring this feature. I use this literally almost every single time I'm working in Illustrator. I really, really, want to use the Affinity apps as my daily drivers but there are just too many missing functions like select same (and 1-bit graphic support, and vector warp, and, and) that leave this suite in the Amateur field when it comes to production graphics.

Edited by Michael Hurley
Typo.

Posting to +1 to keep letting Serif know that lack of this feature is a deal-breaker for full adaption of A.D. Seems like Serif got so into building other apps (Photo, Publisher, iOS apps, etc.) they forgot to finish Designer. A shame. 

On 8/17/2019 at 6:47 AM, Michael Hurley said:

Let me add my voice to the infernal chorus (we sure ain't divine!) respectfully requiring this feature.

Also adding my voice to this feature request chorus.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:07 PM, joostdh said:

Also adding my voice to this feature request chorus.

We sure have a sweet chorus going in this echo chamber!

3 minutes ago, B4ttleCat said:

We sure have a sweet chorus going in this echo chamber!

In case you're new enough here not to know, the Serif staff very seldom participate in discussions about feature requests. They read and take note of the discussions, but seldom comment, as a matter of policy.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.476 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

In case you're new enough here not to know, the Serif staff very seldom participate in discussions about feature requests. They read and take note of the discussions, but seldom comment, as a matter of policy.

Thanks, but I'm not new. I've been following the thread for years so I'm well aware of how Serif staff treat us.