boudewijndanser

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

3 hours ago, robinp said:

Serif increased their customer base with more than 100% last year,

And what percentage of those new customers find themselves in the same boat as many others here - that they now have purchased a product which is unusable in many projects for which they purchased it? Increased purchases does not equal active users.

This is my circumstance: I cannot use AD for many of my projects just for this missing feature. And having no commitment - or even recognition of its inclusion on the timeline -  from the developers for the implementation of this (most requested) feature makes me unwilling to put in the effort to learn a new software package, when I may never be able to utilize it fully. 

My hope, and that of many others here, is to avoid the Adobe extortion/rental situation. Sadly, AD is not the solution to that.

I agree we're all in the same boat with certain missing features desired and all wishing our fav-feature was next in line to be implemented. I'm not happy the features list got removed a couple weeks ago. Even if we can't get solid dates of completion, it's nice to know what main features are on the radar. I get frustrated with the slow pace like all of you.

That said, while I can't use Affinity to complete my entire daily workflow just yet, I can do quite a bit and I can use Affinity for as many tasks as possible before bailing back to Adobe or wherever. Each time I do this, my knowledge and experience with Affinity grows and I feel more comfortable all the time with the apps. Involving myself in Affinity more all the time allows me to feel more and more free of the Adobe subscription robbery scheme.

The alternative is to "boycott" using the Affinity apps until they have all the features we need to fully complete our projects - waiting would put us behind in our familiarity and practice with the apps. 

Most of us have no idea how much work and effort and investment and time are involved in building these features we use desire. Illustrator was designed in a different era. We are seeing an amazing trio of apps built to challenge the behemoth... Rome was not built in a day. We know Affinity realizes already what features we most desire and have a plan in place to get them built, tested and added to the Affinity arsenal - in the wise words of Axl Rose, "just a little patience'!

8 hours ago, haakoo said:

You are not working at Serif and therefor not knowing what goals they have set for themselves and nor should you know because of the aforementioned reasons.
And calling a company deceitful is just plain sad in whatever obscure definitions you want to write or say it.

You’ve written that in reply to me pointing out that in building design and construction that you have completion dates and programmes. That is a fact. 

The definition for prevaricate is not obscure. Neither does it mean deceitful. 

So what are you on about?

edit: I’m genuinely surprised that so few appear to know the word ‘prevaricate’. I didn’t expect this thread to partially became a debate about a word I’ve known and used for years. It isn’t unusual to me or many people around me. It has been interesting though, the way that some have reacted. Some using partial, incomplete or wrong definitions of it and leaping to conclusions. Some making the classic defensive anti-intelligence move of ridiculing it as ‘obscure’ such as the above.

Both are sad. Both say more about the person saying it than they do about me for using it, and using it correctly. 

In my language, that word has a negative meaning, and no positive side.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

5 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

In my language, that word has a negative meaning, and no positive side.

Oh yes, it is definitely negative. But it doesn't mean being lying or deceitful either.

And why is @Mark Ingram liking this rubbish? Never did anyone accuse Serif of being deceitful. Words are being wrongly attributed in responses that are way off the mark.

2108542042_Screenshot2019-07-30at10_54_12.thumb.png.7a957d8bbf9d66f4404415d35f007169.png

In my language, it’s to commit a crime (a judge dictating false judgement, on purpose), or commiting a lesser fault, or saying crazy things.

Best regards!

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

Just now, Mithferion said:

In my language, it’s to commit a crime (a judge dictating false judgement, on purpose), or commiting a lesser fault, or saying crazy things.

You're losing me now. What do you mean by 'in my language'? I imagine it is fairly clear that we are all using English 

Ah, sorry. It wasn’t my intention. It was just to point out that to me, that word has a negative “aura” in mu mind, but that’s because of the three meanings it has.

It wasn’t meant to “translate” that to English.

Best regards!

12 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Ah, sorry. It wasn’t my intention. It was just to point out that to me, that word has a negative “aura” in mu mind, but that’s because of the three meanings it has.

It wasn’t meant to “translate” that to English.

I don't know what the etymology is of the word but in English is pretty much directly translates to being evasive but in a more active fashion. So while you could evade something by hiding from it, prevarication is more like standing there and talking about everything other than the issue at hand. 

Because we are not all native English speaking here.

Besides you could have used;

Beating around the bush or hush hush

You chose a word that has multiple definitions and therefore can be interpreted in one of those definitions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1903)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

9 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Because we are not all native English speaking here.

Besides you could have used;

Beating around the bush or hush hush

You chose a word that has multiple definitions and therefore can be interpreted in one of those definitions.

It has one definition.

Edit:

A word that has multiple definitions: 'bow'

Now would you say that it, in it's various meanings, should not be used?

Also, I don't know what you mean by 'hush hush', I've never come across it before. I'd never say that someone shouldn't use a word or saying that I've not come across before. It is a chance to learn.

Anyway, back on topic.

Does anyone know of an app that has this feature, on the Mac and that isn't Illustrator? I need something that will allow me to edit line thicknesses en-masse when refining CAD drawings for presentation.

thanks

35 minutes ago, robinp said:

You're losing me now. What do you mean by 'in my language'? I imagine it is fairly clear that we are all using English 

But that are certainly at least users here from 50 different countries, some with english as an native language (or bilanguage as in some part of Africa), so, it’s not a word we have used earlier (prevarication)...

Screenshot_20190730-123436.png

Screenshot_20190730-124034.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Screenshot_20190730-123436.png

Luckily, google translate is not the authority on the English language.

It is clear that 'Prevaricar' in Spanish means something similar to the meanings that translation. Clearly the words have a similar historical background. However, I decided to check what Google makes of it in English:

2079431244_Screenshot2019-07-30at11_40_33.thumb.png.52a0cfa5b5f6f29cfccd1e8d5e213900.png

Many of this synonyms are words I've never come across. No idea what 'tergiversate' means for example.

The Oxford English Dictionary (the British English authority) agrees with my original definition:

1230963500_Screenshot2019-07-30at11_44_43.thumb.png.cea177dc3dc9b2ed9a4bf4fc0f2bfcf5.png

Honestly, I'm in awe of those of you who so successfully and eloquently communicate on here in languages other than your 1st. It is really impressive. My only gripe are those who have told me that I have used the word incorrectly when in fact I have used it exactly correctly and as intended. The annoyance is not because of people correcting (incorrectly it turns out) but because of those who are spending 2 mins looking something up online and then jumping in and correcting someone when they don't actually know themselves.

Well, it sure beats the time you spent to have the last word on everything and to say that your views are the best and should be honoured by us and Serif.

Until you have something meaningful to say,I bid you farewell, grasshopper.

Just now, haakoo said:

Well, it sure beats the time you spent to have the last word on everything and to say that your views are the best and should be honoured by us and Serif.

Until you have something meaningful to say,I bid you farewell, grasshopper.

I'm really confused now

16 minutes ago, robinp said:

google translate is not the authority on the English language.

Here are a few other sources indicating that "prevarication" implies a lie/deception:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/prevarication

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/prevarication

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prevaricate

I did come across another site which gave both "american" and "british" definitions of the word, but they were both the same, and carried this same implication.

14 minutes ago, robinp said:

I'm really confused now

So are the rest of us...

As to the comment about construction projects having estimates for when they will be completed... they also have fixed scope.  They know what they are building when they start and can reasonably estimate when it will be complete.  These software projects do not have a fixed scope: Serif is responding to requests from users by implementing features and capabilities that were not part of the original plan.  The scope of the project is constantly changing, and it is impossible to estimate how long something will take when you don't know what that something is.  Sure, to estimate any one feature should theoretically be possible if you know that feature is going to be the priority and all resources can be dedicated to doing that, but with different people having different "pet" requirements (such as this one) and the need to prioritize what is being worked on, different developers likely juggling multiple tasks, trying to fix bugs in addition to adding the new features, etc., the juggling act does not allow for the same kind of estimating that you might expect from a contractor working on a building project - and even they don't always meet the goals they set.

Serif may very well have estimates internally on how long things will take, but as soon as they share that estimate some vital bug may be discovered or a shift in priorities may happen, and the work may be preempted in favor of something they consider to be more important.  If the original work was depending on something else and that something else similarly got preempted, the effect can trickle down to many things.  Still you will wind up with people complaining that they said feature X would be done five months ago...  it is quite understandable that they would keep their estimates to themselves.

13 hours ago, dla_001 said:

My hope, and that of many others here, is to avoid the Adobe extortion/rental situation.

This is one of the real problems around here! All a lot of people want is a cheap clone of the various Adobe products.

Affinity software, as Serif have said, is being build from the ground up, as an alternative to existing products not just a copy.

Personally I think they are doing a damn good job and I'm getting fed up with people who insist that they are no good because they are not Adobe!

29 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Thanks for these and now I can see where the confusion is coming from. I would say that the first two are downright incorrect. To prevaricate is not the same as to lie. The Merriam Webster definition is only subtly different from the Oxford definition with Merriam Webster using deviate rather than evade to explain the meaning which makes it sound somewhat stronger but in practice the difference between deviating and evading is somewhat slight. Merriam Webster specifically references the 'truth' as well which does lend a greater sense of being 'untruthful'.

Merriam Webster is, I understand, the American English equivalent of Oxford to British English. The other two I would treat with a lot of caution.

When it comes down to it, the Oxford definition is exactly as I understand the meaning of the word. The first two links are way off and the Merriam Webster definition is a bit on the strong side for my liking but isn't a million miles off.

11 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Personally I think they are doing a damn good job and I'm getting fed up with people who insist that they are no good because they are not Adobe!

I don't think anyone here is demanding Designer to be a clone of Illustrator. That doesn't mean there aren't features that would be extremely useful or essential that Illustrator has that Designer doesn't have.

If these forums are to only be a place for sycophantic arse kissing then the use of the forum for communicating feature requests and enhancements becomes impossible.

With regards to this particular request, I don't think anyone is saying the implementation has to be identical to Illustrator, but it is very important to be able to select elements based on colour, stroke width, stroke style etc. It should also be possible to do this very easily in a basic implementation. Maybe the plan is for something really 'flashy' which might be nice one day but really we just need the basic version ASAP.

28 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

This is one of the real problems around here! All a lot of people want is a cheap clone of the various Adobe products. 

Affinity software, as Serif have said, is being build from the ground up, as an alternative to existing products not just a copy. 

Well, be reasonable. Compare Designer panels and features to Illustrator, implementation and ux, and you will instantly get where the inspiration came from. Same for Photo/Photoshop and Publisher/InDesign. Should I start posting screenshots to compare?

Just one little example:

two.jpg.287d89c569028d03a60109937202288e.jpg -vs- one.jpg.89d672461586b8b40776adafaffc37c2.jpg

Nobody said it's a copy. Well...

But back to the topic: to make that switch, we need some features the other one has. If there was no issue implementing Unsharp Mask filter exactly the same way as it's for decades in Photoshop, why should such a little feature as Select by... should be treated in a different way?

And this very feature, Select by attribute, is present even in the free Inkscape product. So just take inspiration there (if you hate Illustrator comparison that much).

People are looking for Adobe product alternatives. Alternative product has to offer similar features so you could be able to switch without breaking your workflow too much. If Serif comes with another solution, awesome. But for 5 years since this topic started, there is no other, but manual solution to this very existing problem. See usercases from this very thread. It's not just a marginal feature request.

16 hours ago, haakoo said:

So I don't give a [ fill in your favorite catchphrase ] what people have on their wish lists and cry and moan about it and want to have it implemented yesterday.

Woah - chill! I suggest you not hang around the feature request forum then :)

These software forums are not very useful unless the Devs are active (which takes effort/time), so they just tend to degrade into a bunch of people shouting into the void. Hopefully the high traffic to this thread highlights this feature as something to include in a future upgrade/version. Don't get me wrong, I think Serif are doing an incredible job - I use Photo almost every day - but if they want to take increased *long term* market share away from Adobe in general, then listening to feedback from users and understanding use cases (especially gaps or missing tools that prevent someone from doing a job) is pretty important. The description of the feature request in the original post was mostly fine - probably just needed all of us who agreed to add a "+1" reply - it would have saved a whole lot of wasted bandwidth. 

8 hours ago, robinp said:

Anyway, back on topic.

Does anyone know of an app that has this feature, on the Mac and that isn't Illustrator? I need something that will allow me to edit line thicknesses en-masse when refining CAD drawings for presentation.

thanks

I just found Inkscape has an option to select by style.

Will try out myself if I can use Inkscape to prepare files for Affinity, facing the same challenge with files originating from GIS application.

23 hours ago, CLC said:

Well, be reasonable. Compare Designer panels and features to Illustrator, implementation and ux, and you will instantly get where the inspiration came from. Same for Photo/Photoshop and Publisher/InDesign. Should I start posting screenshots to compare?

Just one little example:

two.jpg.287d89c569028d03a60109937202288e.jpg -vs- one.jpg.89d672461586b8b40776adafaffc37c2.jpg

Nobody said it's a copy. Well...

But back to the topic: to make that switch, we need some features the other one has. If there was no issue implementing Unsharp Mask filter exactly the same way as it's for decades in Photoshop, why should such a little feature as Select by... should be treated in a different way?

And this very feature, Select by attribute, is present even in the free Inkscape product. So just take inspiration there (if you hate Illustrator comparison that much).

People are looking for Adobe product alternatives. Alternative product has to offer similar features so you could be able to switch without breaking your workflow too much. If Serif comes with another solution, awesome. But for 5 years since this topic started, there is no other, but manual solution to this very existing problem. See usercases from this very thread. It's not just a marginal feature request.

But, in the end, there was NOT Adobe that developed the first kind of UI that most of painting/graphic/publishing companies use today...

Look in the rear mirror and you will see that Aldus, Adobe and several other companies has stolen a lot of things from the earlier developed apps...