You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi world, 

it's first time in this forum, i'm totally in love with AD, but this view is totally real. 

We can't live with group and subgroup all the time, can't we decide to have all on 1 level?

and untill it is not possible to select by color/fill/stroke it is useless for preprint, time is everything.

Love

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I've written on this topic before, on one of the threads here. Although I can't say how well this will work for any of you, I've found a free software, that does do select fill, stroke etc by same color, and at least for my simple purposes the software will work for me. It's called Inkscape, and I'm sure you can do a search and find it. Maybe a little competitive pressure will get Affinity to move on this.

I did something similar, opened my file in Illustrator CS5, then doing all the "select similar" I needed to find RGB strokes, changed them to PMS, save then reopen in AF. When I do MAP stuff or work from a CAD software the feature "Find Similar" is a MUST. There is so many element to clean. Also, when I change my mind about et Pantone, "find similar"  is nice to recolour and make sure the is no "wrong colour" left out.

• 2 weeks later...

As maybe an easier to accomplish work-around (I have no idea) could we get the ability to select by the color labels we set? It won't help people importing files from other programs, but it would help designers building the design from ground up in Affinity in the same way as global colors. I could set all of the objects with a particular type of stroke to have the same color label in the Layers panel and then still group them separately according to my other organizational needs. If I could then "Select Color Label" I could adjust all of the strokes at the same time later.

1059730636_ScreenShot2020-07-08at11_12_46AM.png.cf68cd55189f854456221566fd8a8f32.png 

Edited by cleggwd

On 6/25/2020 at 4:23 PM, Kuttyjoe said:

If the main attraction is AD, then switching to Inkscape [or other apps] for a single feature doesn't work.

Because this is not the only feature many users are waiting for, we have to switch the app to do what AD is not able to do and switch back to do the rest. In the case of “Select same” not an easy step.

Wow, this thing has gone on for 6 years and is still not implemented?  I like AD, but honestly there's so much that can be done in Adobe's products that it makes it harder to justify going to an Affinity product, aside from price.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like how Adobe is handling things with their pricing structure or support in general, but their products do generally have a better workflow.  Not the same thing, but similarly I'm often CNTL+ clicking on a layer thumbnail expecting a selection of the layer's objects, but it all depends on what profile you're in.   Very awkward.  Too many steps.

6 hours ago, psiclone said:

Wow, this thing has gone on for 6 years and is still not implemented?  I like AD, but honestly there's so much that can be done in Adobe's products that it makes it harder to justify going to an Affinity product, aside from price.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like how Adobe is handling things with their pricing structure or support in general, but their products do generally have a better workflow.  Not the same thing, but similarly I'm often CNTL+ clicking on a layer thumbnail expecting a selection of the layer's objects, but it all depends on what profile you're in.   Very awkward.  Too many steps.

i cosign with that. Adobe is controlling how we are using their product.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to throw my 2 cents in. This is what I'd consider a pretty basic feature for an app like this. It's great to be able to create global colours and they work really well. But I had update 45 PDF files last week which I opened in Publisher and I had to select every line, fill etc and change to a global colour. Took me hours to do something that could have been done in a fraction of the time with 'find and replace'.

If it's assumed that Serif's plan is to steal users from Adobe then this should be given some priority.

2 hours ago, Chris L said:

Just to throw my 2 cents in. This is what I'd consider a pretty basic feature for an app like this. It's great to be able to create global colours and they work really well. But I had update 45 PDF files last week which I opened in Publisher and I had to select every line, fill etc and change to a global colour. Took me hours to do something that could have been done in a fraction of the time with 'find and replace'.

If it's assumed that Serif's plan is to steal users from Adobe then this should be given some priority.

i cosign.

Its been countless times that selecting by same fill color would just work wonders for me.
Heres something that could be quite useful sometimes too - I am not sure if it is implemented, I cant find anything like this. Inverse OBJECT selection. Say you are selecting few elements and then by using inverse selection you could quickly select all the elements/objects other then you just selected. What do you think?

2 hours ago, nezumi said:

Its been countless times that selecting by same fill color would just work wonders for me.
Heres something that could be quite useful sometimes too - I am not sure if it is implemented, I cant find anything like this. Inverse OBJECT selection. Say you are selecting few elements and then by using inverse selection you could quickly select all the elements/objects other then you just selected. What do you think?

I think we all agree but at this point we're talking to the void. Let's wait and see what happens whenever they decide to release an update with a worthwhile selections feature set. 

Yes Captain,

I believe it's origin is the adobe constellation. Word from the graphic-a system says it has the capability to select individuals turn them into groups and change their DNA.

Is this the weapon you are talking about 

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

I Think the Developers have failed to understand that, this is the MOST IMPORTANT feature one needs while designing.

Sadly I still use my old Coreldraw version 16 despite loving and purchasing AD

either, They dont understand the importance or just cant do it with their layer management system we all love.

If thats the case, the moderators should come out and lock this post saying sorry guys its 6yrs we couldnt do it, we tried and tried, but looks like this feature can never be implemented.

And then Close this thread for good!