You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

That's just a single feature request, still unrealized, and there are many others also not realized.  As I said, Serif has their own plans and it doesn't necessarily line up with what users are asking for.  Serif has not "messed up" just because they're doing what is profitable for their company.  I suspect that the majority of people don't care about the higher profiles 5 year old feature requests of people trying to switch from Illustrator and that could be why Serif does not need to prioritize any of those feature requests.

1 hour ago, Kuttyjoe said:

That's just a single feature request, still unrealized, and there are many others also not realized.  As I said, Serif has their own plans and it doesn't necessarily line up with what users are asking for.  Serif has not "messed up" just because they're doing what is profitable for their company.  I suspect that the majority of people don't care about the higher profiles 5 year old feature requests of people trying to switch from Illustrator and that could be why Serif does not need to prioritize any of those feature requests.

Geez. So Matt writes that select same us the next feature he's going to work on, writing that today, and that initially it will work like Illy with it to be extended in the future and you feel the need to be a glass half full type of person?

Any wonder why Serif stopped responding much to requests? 'Cause if this is the type of response, I would too.

1 hour ago, robinp said:

I can’t quite believe it. It is also kind of funny that it comes in a different thread to the one that’s been going for years and years 

I agree, it looks spiteful to me 😂

Regardless, it’s great news and I’ll be ecstatic if this a 2020 and 1.x feature. 

24 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Geez. So Matt writes that select same us the next feature he's going to work on, writing that today, and that initially it will work like Illy with it to be extended in the future and you feel the need to be a glass half full type of person?

Any wonder why Serif stopped responding much to requests? 'Cause if this is the type of response, I would too.

I don’t blame anyone here being sceptical/pessimistic about the delivery of this. I’m excited AF (as it’ll make the software I paid for useful) but I’ll be damned if I’m counting my chickens until it goes live.

30 minutes ago, MikeW said:

So Matt writes that select same us the next feature he's going to work on, writing that today, and that initially it will work like Illy with it to be extended in the future and you feel the need to be a glass half full type of person?

I couldn't +1 this enough.

27 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Basically, you are willing to ignore the 5 years of begging, (12 if you count DrawPlus begging), then ignore the 5 years of waiting for the other highly requested features.  I'm not particularly prone to wishful thinking even when reality is harsh.  Instead of saying, "any wonder why people are so upset", you instead say, "any wonder why Serif stopped responding. It's kind of ridiculous, but that is the nature of the beast so I don't blame you.

41 minutes ago, Kuttyjoe said:

Why?  Is it because people have absolutely no reason whatsoever to be frustrated?

Not sure this entirely makes sense.

I +1 to @MikeW comment because of the points he made, they were not written for the one you decided to add just now.

I hope the reason why is clear from his quote, in that I simply agree with him.

Go pick a fight somewhere else, these are challenging times for many, we all have better things to do.

35 minutes ago, Kuttyjoe said:

Basically, you are willing to ignore the 5 years of begging, (12 if you count DrawPlus begging), then ignore the 5 years of waiting for the other highly requested features.  I'm not particularly prone to wishful thinking even when reality is harsh.  Instead of saying, "any wonder why people are so upset", you instead say, "any wonder why Serif stopped responding. It's kind of ridiculous, but that is the nature of the beast so I don't blame you.

Did I ever write such a thing? 

Look, I know for (almost) a fact certain things that APub that I need will never be implemented. Does that frustrate me? Nope. I just get on with life and use whatever does what I need to do. Today. I don't plead, beg or whine at Serif for these short comings. And if/when such features are  said will be added, I won't doubt a person like Matt and will perhaps revisit APub once a beta or release comes out.

Even though it seems this functionality is going to come sooner or later I want to suggest a way on how to implement this feature. I do this to add some input to this thread instead of repeating the same things over and over again.

There was another interesting suggestion on page 8.

I want to suggest 'layer labels'. They can be of two kinds: 1) automatically assigned labels that are basically an equivalent to all (or at least a set of) an objects properties. 2) Manually assigned labels, basically keywords.

With such a system we could filter the layers panel to display / select / multiple change all objects of a given property.

Those labels could be displayed in the layers panel or being hidden when not needed.
Manually assigned labels would help those who want to organize their work without changing the stacking order.
Find and replace could be accomplished by filtering the layers by labels, selecting all found (perhaps in one step) and then changing their values.

What do you think?
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, dominik said:

I want to suggest 'layer labels'. They can be of two kinds: 1) automatically assigned labels that are basically an equivalent to all (or at least a set of) an objects properties. 2) Manually assigned labels, basically keywords.

I made a similar suggestion somewhere previously. I thought of it more as a ‘tag’ system. But essentially the same as you’re suggesting for the second part. I’m assuming the first part of your suggestion is dealt with by the file format structure. Or at least it should be. 

24 minutes ago, robinp said:

I thought of it more as a ‘tag’ system.

Actually I had tags also in mind but thought 'label' is a better name. But either way, the idea is exactly the same.

I want to add to the suggestion to make these labels/tags visible in the layers panel. This part has to be thought through carefully because displaing all possible values would make it very convoluted 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

17 minutes ago, haakoo said:

You could go even further by having it something like the stroke/fill/textstyles/styles and fx panel combined.
That way you cannot only select by line/fill/color but also by same fx/style/textstyle/line/fill/opacity/color 

Hello @haakoo,

this is exactly what I have in mind. Labels (or tags, see above) can be created automatically for any kind of property. Even properties that are introduced with later versions and features. I think this would make the whole filter/search system very powerful.

I assume the design of this interface might be a bit of a challenge. I think of something like in a DAM where you have a list/tree of all kinds of labels/tags that were assigned to the assets.

d.

52 minutes ago, haakoo said:

My suggestion would be to also ditch the fx.
A Shadowtool must be implemented where glow and shadows reside and these should be detachable, like in xara, from the object by simply ungrouping after application.
Perhaps as live filter combination of recolor and gaussian blur.
So the object remains vector and only the rastershadow is exported/saved as bitmap.
The outline should be in the new contour/offsettool @MattP showed in his tweet.
3d/emboss fx should be a filter or maybe a live filter.
Gradient/color overlay belong in the fill properties.

These are some interesting suggestions that demand quite a bit of a redesign. I wonder if Serif would go that far? Nonetheless I find your thoughts valid and worth a look.

d.

Please dear Affinity Designer Team, we really do need help on that!

Also when we do import a pdf, Affinity seems to group objects and lines in random groups. This is horrible to work with!

If it would at least group by color, line witdh etc. you could handle it. But like this you go crazy. All under tons of random groups and subgroups...