You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

16 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @DomD,

I want to disagree with this statement. Serif has numerously explained that and why some features are not implemented yet. Serif's developers and other staff are participating in this forum. Their tone and way of communication is very educated and customer oriented. I say this because I am reading the forum for several years. I do not quote any of these postings in mind but can give you examples if required.

What is not there is a feature to select/filter objects according to their properties. But this is not questionable, perhaps disappointing to some of the users.

BTW, I would very much appreciate this feature, whatever way it is implemented.

Cheers,
d.

I agree with Dominik. Serif staff commitment to their users is outstanding and simply doesn't compare to any other app developers I know. It's one thing to make your point and express how the lack of a certain feature affects you, as I did, but to doubt their commitment because they don't implement what you're asking for straight away is unfair to say the least. We should make our points but ultimately trust their judgement. If they can't implement it now it's because they have a good reason. I trust this team.

I've replied several times on this thread, and other threads in the feedback forums. Here's a copy and paste of my response that I gave in the DXF export request thread:

I've mentioned this a few times now, but Designer was released 5 years go, and since then we have continually added new features and bug fixes, for free. I understand that in this thread, people are disappointed about the lack of DXF Select Same support, and in other feature request threads you'll find other disappointed users. However, we have to balance our work loads and prioritise features over other ones. That doesn't mean we aren't listening, it just means we're busy. When Designer shipped it didn't support Artboards, Symbols, Assets, Arrow Heads, Multi-Fills & Multi-Strokes, etc. And these were all requests that came from users (you can find the old feature request threads on these if you search). 

15 hours ago, joelstrouts said:

Affinity Design please reply to indicate what the timeline is for this feature. I am considering requesting a refund. I bought this to use instead of illustratorand consider this an essential feature. Without it going back to ai will just be necessary.

Unfortunately we don't comment on timelines for potential new features or updates, as it inevitably will lead to disappointment among some users if those deadlines aren't met. We want people to be happy with their purchases, so if that's not the case then feel free to reach out for a refund. 

Just now, fde101 said:

If you are in a rush, try one of:

• www.adobe.com
  • www.vectorstyler.com
  • www.coreldraw.com

Otherwise, you may need to be patient.

I feel somewhat like many of us have been very patient.

Obviously I was referring to it being added to Designer.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:29 PM, robinp said:

Where and how do I pay to get this feature added?

I am not sure if this is rhetorical, or not.

But if not, my stab at it is that firstly your money won't move the AD team so much. Years of requests may have proven that. Secondly as stated by @fde101 some companies already have this in place, I suspect with varying degrees of features and complexity, but there nonetheless.

1 minute ago, jamesholden said:

I am not sure if this is rhetorical, or not.

But if not my stab at it is that firstly your money won't move the AD team too much, years of requests have proven that. Secondly as stated by @fde101 some companies already have this in place, I suspect with varying degrees of features and complexity, but there nonetheless.

It was mainly rhetorical, picking up the point from @Mark Ingram about how we've had years of free updates.  This is a common argument made but is more whattaboutery than an actual answer. If they feel hard done by for providing free updates, or for that matter, feel like it exempts them from criticism then I think it is really rather misguided.

I was trying to make the point that a) we don't get to choose or not whether updates are free or not and, b) that I and many others would happily to get an update that includes this feature.

I will continue to wait with my wallet at the ready if needed.

34 minutes ago, robinp said:

It was mainly rhetorical, picking up the point from @Mark Ingram about how we've had years of free updates.  This is a common argument made but is more whattaboutery than an actual answer. If they feel hard done by for providing free updates, or for that matter, feel like it exempts them from criticism then I think it is really rather misguided.

I was trying to make the point that a) we don't get to choose or not whether updates are free or not and, b) that I and many others would happily to get an update that includes this feature.

I too wonder if they'd just charge more (frequently), wouldn't they then, by increasing resources, be able deliver more (frequently).

On 12/5/2019 at 4:14 PM, robinp said:

Try Adobe's customer service before giving these guys a hard time :)

Switched to Affinity Designer after a decade of Illustrator and it took me less than an hour before my troubleshooting search found this thread. I'm completely stuck without "select same" functionality... will ask for a refund given how unresponsive Serif seems to be for such a critical feature request.

Pop! (this is the sound of my initial enthusiasm for Affinity Designer disappearing)

3 hours ago, Josh Neufeld said:

Switched to Affinity Designer after a decade of Illustrator and it took me less than an hour before my troubleshooting search found this thread. I'm completely stuck without "select same" functionality... will ask for a refund given how unresponsive Serif seems to be for such a critical feature request.

Pop! (this is the sound of my initial enthusiasm for Affinity Designer disappearing)

Yep, sadly it doesn’t take long before this becomes an insurmountable issue. It’s fundamental to vector illustration. 

Hi,

Hope you don't mind but your argumentation is totally weird.

Of course I never thought I could cut the cord to Adobe with such an affordable product suite, but I could, ...almost. Of course I don't ask for every single of Adobe to be reproduced in Affinity suit. But for most of the people here, the feature we are asking for since about five years is the ONLY missing to make the big jump. And YES Affinity products are amazing already.

Have a nice day.

• Staff

@Josh Neufeld

Welcome to the serif Affinity forums :) 

11 hours ago, Josh Neufeld said:

Did you read this? "I'm completely stuck without 'select same' functionality..."

In other words, the purpose of this software is defeated by its lack of specific functionality. How can you argue with this? I can't use the software for its intended purpose. That's really bad.

Perhaps your purpose for this software is defeated, but not the purpose, as it is used by many others. Hopefully you will find it does suit your needs once this popular request is added.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

So...someone above suggested alternatives, one of which was VectorStyler. I downloaded the beta (it's only in beta now), and opened a PDF exported from AutoCAD. I did Select All, to rotate from portrait to landscape. VectorStyler crashed. I re-opened it, and there was a crash-report dialog. I filled it out and sent it. Almost immediately came an email, asking if I would send the offending PDF. I did so. The next morning, I got an email indicating that there was a new beta version, which should solve the problem, would I try it. Problem solved!

This is how customer support is supposed to work.

1 hour ago, dla_001 said:

This is how customer support is supposed to work.

Hello @dla_001,

I want to invite you to look around the forum, especially the Beta software forums here. You will find quite some cases where Affinity staff offered support as you describe it. Maybe not as fast as over night but within a considerate short time.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil