You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Select same color / fill / stroke / appearance

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded the trial version of Affinity Designer (Windows) to give it a spin. Guess I don't need the full 10 days - 5 mins were enough to eliminate AD as a potential AI replacement, as without a "Select all with same X" feature this software is next to useless (as least for what I would use it regularly).

Too bad. I did love its overall performance, totally beats AI there.

15 minutes ago, sciGR said:

I just downloaded the trial version of Affinity Designer (Windows) to give it a spin. Guess I don't need the full 10 days - 5 mins were enough to eliminate AD as a potential AI replacement, as without a "Select all with same X" feature this software is next to useless (as least for what I would use it regularly).

Too bad. I did love its overall performance, totally beats AI there.

To be fair, Adobe Illustrator has been around for a lot longer than AD. But yeah, I would like to get a select all / magic wand feature. 

1 minute ago, airguitarbandit said:

To be fair, this ticket has been open for years. This is BASIC.

Yeah, I myself kind of confused why they don't implement this earlier. It might be that they are figuring out codes that works fast at doing that or adding their own implementation (special functionality). Adobe Illustrator also has some basic stuff that only recently added such as control over the size of anchor point. 

1 minute ago, airguitarbandit said:

To be fair, this ticket has been open for years. This is BASIC.

This! 

This is an essential and VERY easy to implement feature: just grab whatever feature is wanted from the currently selected item and traverse the tree. Done.

While we are at it: Another hard to miss feature: Select a bunch of objects, click one of them to designate as the reference object, then do whatever alignment on them.

And no, to use a dropdown menu to select first/last is just not cutting it. Again, rather easy to implement.

Before adding more complex features, Serif should rather focus on usability. Because without the latter, the former don't matter.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, B4ttleCat said:

I agree but it seems the importance is not understood. It's been 4 years since the first post.

Importance is only part of the story. Exporting editable text to PSD format is important, interpreting fonts embedded in PDF files is important, proper handling of right-to-left languages is important, and a host of other features might also be on any given user’s “important” list, but some of those things are difficult and some are currently impossible.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for me too. I purchased Designer several months ago, and find it very difficult to work without this feature. If I am creating my own work from scratch I can work around it, but not when dealing with files created by other software. For example: deleting or restyling the roads on a map, restyling the data points or grid an infographic, or setting up artwork for laser cutting (which uses different colors and fills to tell the machine what to do).

+1 and then some. Joined the forum just to post this.

I downloaded the trial version of Designer and within a short space of time I knew it was a good enough product to buy (especially on sale). During the trial I just created my own documents and played around with the different tools. I was impressed.

After installing the purchased version, the very first document I opened up was an existing document I had been working on in Ai, a map from a GIS program. Went to try and "select by lineweight" and realised I couldn't. Nor by color, or or any other attribute. Ain't no way I can click-select thousands of objects by hand! I am not a programmer, and have been blown away by what your team has done at this price point, but this feature just seems like a very simple sort and select algorithm to implement even in a rudimentary form? I agree that basic functionality like this is an absolute must for any production or even casual environment and am surprised and dismayed to find it absent even after years of asking. 

• Staff

Hi MadCat,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Selection by attributes is already planned for a future version. We have a small team/limited resources so we have to prioritise/balance things according to our development plans, dependency on other features already or still being developed/finished, users requests as well as other variables. The dev teams are already doing the best they can to close those gaps/missing features as possible. Please bear with us while we work to expand/improve the app.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 to this. I really need this feature for complex illustrations. Having to select each individually is a chore. I like AD a heck of a lot more than illustrator for most things, so having to fire up my old illustrator CS5 again to do this is disappointing. It has been in the pipeline for so long now, but I consider this one of the basic for a good vector program. I know you have limited resources, but this one has more practical use than a line stabilizer, for instance.

• 1 month later...

I'm coming back to see if there had been any progress on this issue. But no.

You have limited resources, right, but also wrong priorities I'm afraid. This is perplexing to me. You are probably catering to your existing user base, but you should understand that adding basic functionality would expand that user base significantly.

Anyway, still on AI CS6.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:30 AM, MEB said:

Please bear with us while we work to expand/improve the app.

We've been "bearing with you" for quite literally 4 years for a planned feature. This is absurd.

If I didn't give a rats about Affinity Designer (or Serif in general) I wouldn't be here badgering you, but I do care. It's not only impossible to stop using Adobe products for missing features like this, it's also impossible to genuinely recommend to serious users.

I recommended your product to several people in architecture/planning. The missing select same feature is essentially for us, as we often work on maps or exported PDF/Dwgs with a lot of lines and polygones.

Please add this feature and you will attract a lot more users.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...