skyking

[Fixed] Opening images from a CD

I just discovered an interesting item. In Affinity Photo I tried opening an image from a CD. I got an error telling me it can't open it as it is a "Read only image" That same image opens find from the CD in Photoshop CC. Is this a bug in Affinity Photo??

James

1 hour ago, skyking said:

I just discovered an interesting item. In Affinity Photo I tried opening an image from a CD. I got an error telling me it can't open it as it is a "Read only image" That same image opens find from the CD in Photoshop CC. Is this a bug in Affinity Photo??

James

If they open in Photoshop then you didn't get an error per se, what you see is telling you in an obtuse manner that you won't be able to save any edits to the file on the CD. You have to choose a different location to save them.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.1 | Affinity Photo 1.7.1 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.1

22 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

...is telling you in an obtuse manner that you won't be able to save any edits to the file on the CD. You have to choose a different location to save them.

Well reading and writing (r/w) are usually different things here, but honestly why should it refuse to open (read) a file from a Photo or Icons & Symbols stocks CD etc- for reusage?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.0 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.0 ◆ OSX El Capitan

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

why should it refuse to open (read) a file from a Photo or Icons & Symbols stocks CD

Oh, I misunderstood. It won't open from the CD? Can you copy the images onto the the desktop in the finder and open from there? And what format are the images in?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.1 | Affinity Photo 1.7.1 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.1

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Oh, I misunderstood. It won't open from the CD? Can you copy the images onto the the desktop in the finder and open from there? And what format are the images in?

Don't know the OP has to tell, further it would be interesting to see if "Place ..." then operates the same way for CDs/DVDs aka generally read only media.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.0 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.0 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Thanks - Yes, if I copy the images from the CD to the Mac’s hard drive they open just fine. If I try to open them from the Images CD I get the “Read Only” error.

James

3 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Don't know the OP has to tell, further it would be interesting to see if "Place ..." then operates the same way for CDs/DVDs aka generally read only media.

I’ll try placing the file tomorrow. I had a similar problem when trying to place an image from a CD into Affinity Publisher. I have not tried Designer - I’ll do that tomorrow.

I am running version 1.7 beta and you are correct - I was able to import images from a CD. Normally one would transfer images from a CD to a drive but not always. 

Thanks!!