You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preview Mode and Overflow Text

I've been playing around with Beta 238, and noticed something strange--or at least strange to me. When I click on Preview Mode, all the lines disappear, just as expected, and I get what should be how the page will ultimately look. Ah, but one little thing...if there is a text frame which is overflowing, that is the frame cannot contain all the text in it, the frame borders disappear, as expected, but the overflow is not hidden, but still showing on the page. If I am using Preview Mode to check how things will look, everything looks fine, and I might not notice that a text frame is actually overflowing. It would seem to me that using Preview Mode should automatically flip display overflow text off.

You can recreate this with any text frame. Just fill it with real text (not filler, because it will autoshrink), then change the size of the text frame so that it can no longer contain the whole text. Then click Preview Mode. The overflow text is still showing.

11 hours ago, ToOldForThis said:

I've been playing around with Beta 238, and noticed something strange--or at least strange to me. When I click on Preview Mode, all the lines disappear, just as expected, and I get what should be how the page will ultimately look. Ah, but one little thing...if there is a text frame which is overflowing, that is the frame cannot contain all the text in it, the frame borders disappear, as expected, but the overflow is not hidden, but still showing on the page. If I am using Preview Mode to check how things will look, everything looks fine, and I might not notice that a text frame is actually overflowing. It would seem to me that using Preview Mode should automatically flip display overflow text off.

You can recreate this with any text frame. Just fill it with real text (not filler, because it will autoshrink), then change the size of the text frame so that it can no longer contain the whole text. Then click Preview Mode. The overflow text is still showing.

Hi @ToOldForThis,

you can turn this on and off on the text frame itself. A text frame that has overflowing text displays a little red eye at the right side next to the text flow handle. You see this only if you click on the text frame to make it active. You can click on this eye and it turns into a strike through eye. Overflown text then disappears.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

17 hours ago, ToOldForThis said:

If I am using Preview Mode to check how things will look, everything looks fine, and I might not notice that a text frame is actually overflowing. It would seem to me that using Preview Mode should automatically flip display overflow text off.

I would agree with you, except for one thing: When you have told a Text Frame to display the overflow text, then that overflow text will be there when you Print or Export.

Therefore, the Preview is showing you an accurate depiction of what will happen. If you don't want that text showing, you need to tell Publisher not to show it, or you need to fix the overflow problem.

(Though, I suppose it is possible that both the Preview mode and Print/Export are misbehaving, and the overflow text should never show in either.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi ToOldForThis,

Walt has hit the nail on the head, the preview is accurate to what you get when you print and export. We've decided on this method as it is easier to see where your text is overflowing, and to not hide it where it can be easily missed. Especially if it is just the trailing line that is hidden.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.