You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NEIN - a book of German signs

gewoonm

Just for fun I made some photos of German signs and converted them to hard black-and-white. I even made some book-mockups (10 points if you can see which book I used as stand-in ;) ).

Looking forward to hear your feedback! The mockups are made with affinity, some black-white conversions where done with the Apple-Photos plugin of Affinity.

I've added the mockups below, some more info is in my blog-post and all black-and-white-photos are here.

book3.thumb.jpg.4f2a1efe9e8e498d47947cd3f86c49f8.jpgazi_holding_cover.thumb.jpg.b1e69eba89c8294140fce9e9cf34aedf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 3:04 AM, johnnT said:

Just Curious are you saying no to German signs or is that a common sign in Germany? :)

"NEIN" is one of the real typical terms of German, like "verboten" (prohibited) and "sofort" (immediately, on the double).

Rumour has it that during WW 2, the allied forces managed to decrypt the messages of German submarines by seeking for patterns meaning "verboten" and "sofort" - and got successful. :D

Also, there's a more or less famous cartoon, showing a building in a war scene, some soldiers shouting "Are there any Germans in?" - And the answer is "NEIN!" :D

4 hours ago, gewoonm said:

@Jörn Reppenhagen hahaha! If only I could photograph that sign, my life would be complete ;)

I once saw a sign, I guess it was "Müll abladen verboten" ("verboten", of course), being eaten by a tree.
It got nailed to that tree first, then nature stroke back and began to grow around that sign. Looked like the sign was being pulled into the tree.
Did a bad smartphone photo back in time - but I fear it will never come to Tageslicht again.