You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo & Designer-Mac: Long time to load

Purchased & Beta's of  both Photo and Designer take noticeably longer and longer to load.
I see the beach ball appear for a second or two upon loading, all programs will continue to load after disappearance of the ball.
Is there any cache file that I could delete/empty which might then speed things up a bit ?
Or even perform in-depth uninstall/reinstall ?

Thanks for any help, C.L.

Hi, Stokerg, Thanks for your reply.

I've got quite a lot of fonts installed, also a number of fonts de-activated.
However, fonts on the Mac are still a mystery to me, they seem to be all over the place.....
Fontbook tells me : Computer=250, User=979, All=1218

System-changes : Went from High-Sierra to Mojave, v 10.14.3 (18D109).

Other than that : no system changes, except regular Apple-issued Mojave updates.

• Staff

Hi catlover,

We know a large number of fonts can cause Affinity to slow down when opening.  I've only got a total of 519 fonts and my iMac here isn't the quickest (Late 2012 model) and Designer takes 20 seconds to load up. What kind of times are you getting when starting the apps? 

Once thing i personally noticed, since upgrading to Mojave my Mac as a whole does appear to run a bit slower.

Hi, Stokerg

I'm getting 19 secs for Photo and 15 secs for Designer.

At around 12 secs for Photo  and at 10 secs for Designer the process stops and the beach ball appears for maybe 1 sec, after which the startup continues.

In the mean time I got rid of a bunch of fonts, makes no difference, sorry to say.

I agree that Mojave as such didn't do the speed much good. Maybe Apple will come with an update one sunny day.

In the mean time, thanks for your concern.