You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlink on master page

That is a good idea.

For example in a book that is to be published as a PDF on the web, such a hyperlink could be at the bottom of every page labelled as 'Index' then a reader could get to the index from anywhere in the book.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Yes, you can. (As I just did in a simple test.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt.Farrel -

Interesting that you got this to work. I am able to get it to appear to work in APro (i.e. add a link to a Master Page and then have it respond correctly Go To Source (or Target) are clicked. However, when exported as a PDF and viewed in a reader (one that does correctly respond to other hyperlinks in the same file) the links made on a Master Page are don't work.

I assume that you did the final step of actually exporting a PDF and testing it in a reader. My test appears to work when looking at the link in Hyperlink studio, but not in the real world.

Any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, EdK said:

I assume that you did the final step of actually exporting a PDF and testing it in a reader. My test appears to work when looking at the link in Hyperlink studio, but not in the real world.

Any thoughts?

Yes, I did. It was only a quick test, though. But I checked the PDF and the link (a URL) worked.

Question: Did you use the More... dialog and enable Advanced Features when you exported?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Did you use the More... dialog and enable Advanced Features when you exported?

Didn't work here on Mac. Neither time. I only had the two hyperlinks in the hyperlinks studio one for each master page page on the double spread. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Didn't work here on Mac. Neither time. I only had the two hyperlinks in the hyperlinks studio one for each master page page on the double spread. 

Interesting. Well, here's my test case:

pgdp.net-link.afpub

hyperlink-on-master.pdf

-- Walt
PC:

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, I did. It was only a quick test, though. But I checked the PDF and the link (a URL) worked.

Question: Did you use the More... dialog and enable Advanced Features when you exported?

Yes. Advance Features and Hyperlinks were both enabled. I'll take a look at your test and get back to you; thanks for including it.

3 minutes ago, EdK said:

Advance Features and Hyperlinks were both enabled.

Where did you find a Hyperlinks setting to enable? My export options don't show anything for that.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, William Overington said:

That is a good idea.

For example in a book that is to be published as a PDF on the web, such a hyperlink could be at the bottom of every page labelled as 'Index' then a reader could get to the index from anywhere in the book.

William

3 hours ago, somewhereinusa said:

That's what I'm trying for only, on a pdf file to be read on a reader.

That is what I based my test on, going to page 1 of a Muti page pdf. Failed. Your test worked well, the pdf and the Publisher document even after I saved as... and exported it again.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Just now, EdK said:

Near the middle of the Export's More... page.

Ditto

3 minutes ago, EdK said:

Near the middle of the Export's More... page.

And so it is. Just blind, I guess. Thanks!

-- Walt
PC:

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

pgdp.net-link.afpub

hyperlink-on-master.pdf

Your test case don't work for me  It does work but, you have to wait a few seconds before it's active.  I just made another test document and mine doesn't work.I added another link you your master. Your link works, mine doesn't. Looking at your file there seems to be an empty box on the master page that shows up in the hyperlinks list.

6 minutes ago, somewhereinusa said:

Looking at your file there seems to be an empty box on the master page that shows up in the hyperlinks list.

Interesting. I had not noticed that it shows up in the hyperlinks list. I'll have to investigate it. It's just an empty Text Frame, waiting input on the document pages, but I drew it after I had done the hyperlink, so its format is probably the hyperlink format, which may have caused that.

Not sure why your link doesn't work. If you'd care to share the .afpub file I'd check it to see if anything looks odd to me.

-- Walt
PC:

I looked at your test example. Not the same as what William described here:

4 hours ago, William Overington said:

We're not looking to get to a URL target external to a PDF document. In my case, similar to William's example, I have a Table of Contents (on page 3) to each chapter of a 15 chapter PDF book. Every chapter in the document (15 photo portfolios)  uses a page based hyperlink (not master page based) to get to that chapter. Every page has "Go to TOC" in a bottom corner. What we want to do is to use the related master page to get the viewer back to page 3 (TOC) when desired without having to create a separate link for every page (over 100 in my case).

In summary, I use 15 non-master-page links to get from the TOC to 15 chapters (works fine) and want to use the master page for 100+ identical links to return to the TOC (doesn't work at all). Note: the hyperlink TYPE used throughout is Page (URL takes you to an external target which isn't the case here). Should be straight forward once the bugs are squashed in APub. Your example is entirely different, but thanks.

2 hours ago, somewhereinusa said:

... Looking at your file there seems to be an empty box on the master page that shows up in the hyperlinks list.

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Interesting. I had not noticed that it shows up in the hyperlinks list. I'll have to investigate it. It's just an empty Text Frame, waiting input on the document pages, but I drew it after I had done the hyperlink, so its format is probably the hyperlink format, which may have caused that.

I have been completely unsuccessful in getting rid of the adding a hyperlink to a document with every tool after adding  a hyperlink, it is a very sticky setting. You may have to quit and reset the user settings before being able to continue working. Text Frames, Art Text and even Rectangles all resulted in an addition to the hyperlink studio. They all took the name of the last link made. On the up side is that these links sometimes worked after exporting.

I have a few test pages  "master test" has a number of links. None of the ones that are on the master pages work. I find that I can not add anything  more to the master pages. If I add another master page I can't put anything on it.

On "master test2" the links work but, I typed the url address out and linked to that.

On "master test4" the links don't work, the url is correct in the hyperlinks suite. In my mind 4 should work the same as 2.

On "master test6" both url links work but, the link to page 3 doesn't.

master test4.pdf

master test4.afpub

master test2.pdf

master test2.afpub

master test.pdf

master test.afpub

master test6.pdf

master test6.afpub