You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Numerical Lists and Italics

You can also create a style and use the option Initial Words. I duplicated the 1. Numbered 1 Style and went to the Initial Words option and changed the style to emphasis. Note I have the Apply style to selection ticked in the bottom left of that window.

The word count is if you type more than 4 words on a line the fifth word will not have the Emphasis applied, so bear that in mind when creating a style.
Screen-Shot-2019-02-15-at-20-58-04.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, kdog3682 said:

How do I do this?

It is easiest, to me, to first create the Character Style for the numbers.

capture-002515.png.bbba1ad0734c84fa523147d68746cb63.png

Then, for your Paragraph Style, set it to the font you want and the "Font traits" to Italic:

capture-002513.png.b056dd2241447f1e2e4f907ee73d1316.png

And then in the Numbering & Bullets section, choose the previously created Character Style:

capture-002514.png.d473c2b5e4d894b34fa5426b65372843.png

You should then be up and running...

Mike

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

capture-002515.png.bbba1ad0734c84fa523147d68746cb63.png

Then, for your Paragraph Style, set it to the font you want and the "Font traits" to Italic:

capture-002513.png.b056dd2241447f1e2e4f907ee73d1316.png

And then in the Numbering & Bullets section, choose the previously created Character Style:

capture-002514.png.d473c2b5e4d894b34fa5426b65372843.png

You should then be up and running...

Mike

Thank you very much.

19 hours ago, fde101 said:

I don't think this is relevant since you can't really select the numbers anyway without selecting the text next to them.

… but that's the thing! This is what I want to get implemented … Other Programs offer this kind of selection …

Never ever missed that in the last 20 years as a designer – especially, because something like this easily can mix up paragraph/character styles. (Just think of different styles following each other line-wise and you select characters vertically and assign different attributes, or – even badder: you delete the selection …

No, I never missed it and don’t want it at all.

34 minutes ago, Rigorious said:

… but that's the thing! This is what I want to get implemented … Other Programs offer this kind of selection …

We can ask to get something implemented, but not want ;)

I have used vertical selections in another program but that was a text editor with a fixed width font. I see big problems for vertical selection with variable width fonts because it will be very hard to figure out what has to be part of the selection and what not.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 2/16/2019 at 8:22 PM, MikeW said:

This is a situation where it can make sense to use the NumberedList paragraph style as a character style. That way, you have one less style to deal with, and if you change the font in NumberedList you don't have to update the font in ListNumbers too.

1 minute ago, Dave Harris said:

This is a situation where it can make sense to use the NumberedList paragraph style as a character style. That way, you have one less style to deal with, and if you change the font in NumberedList you don't have to update the font in ListNumbers too.

But if the numerals and the text have different attributes—regular for the numerals and italic for the text—does it work to do as you describe? I haven't tried it when there is a difference of attributes.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:38 PM, MikeW said:

But if the numerals and the text have different attributes—regular for the numerals and italic for the text—does it work to do as you describe? I haven't tried it when there is a difference of attributes.

It depends on whether the italics come from the paragraph style. If the paragraph style includes italics, then using it to format the numbers will make them italic. If it doesn't, then it won't. Either way the numbers get whatever character formatting the paragraph specifies.

1 minute ago, Dave Harris said:

It depends on whether the italics come from the paragraph style. If the paragraph style includes italics, then using it to format the numbers will make them italic. If it doesn't, then it won't. Either way the numbers get whatever character formatting the paragraph specifies.

Because the OP wanted/specified italic text (thus set in the p.style) with regular style numerals (thus set in the c.style), I offered the use of a character style for the numerals. This is the correct method for this circumstance, correct?

Just now, MikeW said:

Because the OP wanted/specified italic text (thus set in the p.style) with regular style numerals (thus set in the c.style), I offered the use of a character style for the numerals. This is the correct method for this circumstance, correct?

If the italic setting comes from the p.style, then yes, your suggestion is necessary. However, the original post did not say where the italic came from. Sometimes it is local formatting, or a character style, that happens to be applied to the first few words of the paragraph. In that case, my suggestion may help.

2 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

If the italic setting comes from the p.style, then yes, your suggestion is necessary. However, the original post did not say where the italic came from. Sometimes it is local formatting, or a character style, that happens to be applied to the first few words of the paragraph. In that case, my suggestion may help.

In the OP's original post, and for use in automatically having italic "body" text with regular style numerals in a list, how would you expect the average person to set it up? Given that in a list, it all should format as one adds text without the use of local formatting?

I would certainly set it up as I did. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've been doing it that way in other applications for decades. If there is a better way, I'm all ears.

In case you missed it, the OP wrote:

On 2/15/2019 at 5:57 AM, kdog3682 said:

I want this:

1. dog

2. cat

3. fish