You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers outline visible when printing

Think we’ve solved the problem randomly clicking setting on printer. Using an oki pro 9341 and went into graphic pro setting, selected cymk swop seems there was a rgb colour image In the project now printing without the lines. Attached new pic of print.

EFB745A9-434E-4A13-9253-F14B9A69E61C.jpeg

12 minutes ago, >|< said:

They are not converted when placed! These are embedded objects that retain their colour data in RGB. There are conversions when the document is rendered or an image is exported from the document, but the actual objects in the document are not converted.

Is it better for me to make sure I export the image etc I’m a newbie and would rather this not happen again 

• Staff
22 minutes ago, >|< said:

They are not converted when placed! These are embedded objects that retain their colour data in RGB. There are conversions when the document is rendered or an image is exported from the document, but the actual objects in the document are not converted.

What Gabe said is technically correct, it just doesn't happen destructively—any embedded documents/placed images are converted to the source colour profile of the parent document for presentation. They have to be, otherwise the colours would be incorrect. Internally, though, the documents/images retain their original colour profile and format, which can be verified by using Edit Document from the context toolbar (or double-clicking the layer with the Move Tool selected). The same applies to image formats like JPEG/TIFF, etc.

There's a slight difference between Affinity documents (embedded documents) and placed images: embedded documents are always converted on-the-fly, whereas with placed images a cached result is generated and stored in the document file and is updated when the image is replaced.

The benefit here is that if you go through multiple colour format/profile conversions, Photo will convert from the original document/image profile and format each time rather than having it go through several conversions.

So for the benefit of clarification, you might be able to technically have RGB layers (specifically, embedded documents and placed images) within a CMYK document, but you cannot avoid the colour conversion that is performed to ensure those layers display correctly.

Outside of embedded/placed layers, you cannot have an RGB layer in a CMYK document and vice versa. Copy-pasting image or document data in rather than placing it will convert it to the document's colour profile.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

On 2/15/2019 at 10:17 AM, >|< said:

What Gabe said is technically incorrect and what I said is technically correct and you've actually corroborated my post by trying to protect Gabe's reputation!

Yawn

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7