Jump to content
Royk

Pencil tool question - is it possible to continue drawing?

Recommended Posts

hey peeps,

I would like to ask you who is playing with the beta..

1) is it possible to continue a line with the pencil tool? So.. when you create a line, you simple start a new line where you ended your last, and the two lines merge together, just like Adobe Illustrator does.

2) Also, does a object close itselfs when using the pencil tool and the startingpoint and endpoint merge together so it is one closed object?

3) Is is possible to change the line you draw with the pencil tool by drawing on top of it?

Al of this, is working in AI for years now and makes the Pencil tool THE tool to draw and create an vector illustration superfast. So far, all of this lacking in Afinity is it for me a no go to switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Royk said:

1) is it possible to continue a line with the pencil tool? So.. when you create a line, you simple start a new line where you ended your last, and the two lines merge together, just like Adobe Illustrator does.

2) Also, does a object close itselfs when using the pencil tool and the startingpoint and endpoint merge together so it is one closed object?

3) Is is possible to change the line you draw with the pencil tool by drawing on top of it?

Al of this, is working in AI for years now and makes the Pencil tool THE tool to draw and create an vector illustration superfast. So far, all of this lacking in Afinity is it for me a no go to switch.

Hello @Royk,

look for the 'Sculpt Mode' on the pencil's tool bar. It let's you continue lines and you can change the line by drawing on top of it.

#2 : I am not sure if this is possible. I usually do this by using the Node Tool (look for 'Close curve' on the toolbar).

d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.502)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Royk,

As Dominic mentioned the option you want is 'Sculpt' mode. It allows you to continue drawing from the curve by clicking on the last node, or edit existing lines by starting and ending on different parts of the line. Regarding closing curves you can also do this using the Sculpt mode by finishing on the start node.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply. I am looking forward to check that out. Is this sculpt mode only in the beta version? I cant finding this in the 1.6.5

I guess i really need to check it out then :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep, i installed the beta and can say, this is a huge step forward (for me) with Designer. Still some strange effects when i redraw a shape but that is workable. I am very pleased with this update like this. Keep it up Affinity!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Royk,

As Dominic mentioned the option you want is 'Sculpt' mode. It allows you to continue drawing from the curve by clicking on the last node, or edit existing lines by starting and ending on different parts of the line. Regarding closing curves you can also do this using the Sculpt mode by finishing on the start node.

With pencil tool In beta 1.7.0.243 I still can not close shape in sculpt mode by drawing to the end or start point. 

If it is really doable than what is wrong with my beta?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TextusGames said:

With pencil tool In beta 1.7.0.243 I still can not close shape in sculpt mode by drawing to the end or start point. 

If it is really doable than what is wrong with my beta?

Same here. It is not working and most likely it is a bug. Or a missing feature.

d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.502)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 9:41 PM, TextusGames said:

With pencil tool In beta 1.7.0.243 I still can not close shape in sculpt mode by drawing to the end or start point. 

If it is really doable than what is wrong with my beta?

Sorry both for the delay in responding. I was under the impression that sculpt allowed you to close a curve, however I was wrong. So there is nothing wrong with your beta. 

However I will pass it on to development as an improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.