You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pencil tool question - is it possible to continue drawing?

hey peeps,

I would like to ask you who is playing with the beta..

1) is it possible to continue a line with the pencil tool? So.. when you create a line, you simple start a new line where you ended your last, and the two lines merge together, just like Adobe Illustrator does.

2) Also, does a object close itselfs when using the pencil tool and the startingpoint and endpoint merge together so it is one closed object?

3) Is is possible to change the line you draw with the pencil tool by drawing on top of it?

Al of this, is working in AI for years now and makes the Pencil tool THE tool to draw and create an vector illustration superfast. So far, all of this lacking in Afinity is it for me a no go to switch.

7 hours ago, Royk said:

1) is it possible to continue a line with the pencil tool? So.. when you create a line, you simple start a new line where you ended your last, and the two lines merge together, just like Adobe Illustrator does.

2) Also, does a object close itselfs when using the pencil tool and the startingpoint and endpoint merge together so it is one closed object?

3) Is is possible to change the line you draw with the pencil tool by drawing on top of it?

Al of this, is working in AI for years now and makes the Pencil tool THE tool to draw and create an vector illustration superfast. So far, all of this lacking in Afinity is it for me a no go to switch.

Hello @Royk,

look for the 'Sculpt Mode' on the pencil's tool bar. It let's you continue lines and you can change the line by drawing on top of it.

#2 : I am not sure if this is possible. I usually do this by using the Node Tool (look for 'Close curve' on the toolbar).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff

Hi Royk,

As Dominic mentioned the option you want is 'Sculpt' mode. It allows you to continue drawing from the curve by clicking on the last node, or edit existing lines by starting and ending on different parts of the line. Regarding closing curves you can also do this using the Sculpt mode by finishing on the start node.

10 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Royk,

As Dominic mentioned the option you want is 'Sculpt' mode. It allows you to continue drawing from the curve by clicking on the last node, or edit existing lines by starting and ending on different parts of the line. Regarding closing curves you can also do this using the Sculpt mode by finishing on the start node.

With pencil tool In beta 1.7.0.243 I still can not close shape in sculpt mode by drawing to the end or start point. 

If it is really doable than what is wrong with my beta?

9 hours ago, TextusGames said:

With pencil tool In beta 1.7.0.243 I still can not close shape in sculpt mode by drawing to the end or start point. 

Same here. It is not working and most likely it is a bug. Or a missing feature.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 2/18/2019 at 9:41 PM, TextusGames said:

Sorry both for the delay in responding. I was under the impression that sculpt allowed you to close a curve, however I was wrong. So there is nothing wrong with your beta. 

However I will pass it on to development as an improvement.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.