You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I was working today at some small and detailed designs, such as clocks and thought about a useful tool that I'd love to see in AD: a Loupe. For me, at least, it would be extremely helpful when you want to check, say, the drop shadows or the inner glow of a small element of your design or some small detail at a corner, a bezel or even..."an aluminium chamfered edge!"  :lol:

I am by no means a pro, I just discovered AD and graphic design a week ago, maybe pros do it differently and don't need such a tool. But for me, a Loupe, which could serve as a local zoom tool (of a user specified amount), would be great.

Thanks.

Oh, right, sorry. I did a search before creating the topic, but somehow I missed that topic.

Another idea for implementation, aside from a "portable" Loupe tool, as Aperture's, there could be some kind of a mini-focus window on the sidebar, over or under the colour palette or there, somewhere on the right sidebar. :) This way it could be always on if one wants and it would show the surroundings of your pointer, whatever tool you use.

This would be awe-zoom! :)

Cheers,

Adrian

I find that I often need to look at a detail while still having access to the big picture, and zooming the entire window is a blunt approach... That's a neat idea, Adrian_M, kinda like the Navigator panel... A live Zoom panel would be very cool, but personally I prefer having the zoom area be right on top of my image... perhaps it's because of the nostalgia of years of using a real loupe on contact sheets and proofs...

Oh, right, sorry. I did a search before creating the topic, but somehow I missed that topic.

Another idea for implementation, aside from a "portable" Loupe tool, as Aperture's, there could be some kind of a mini-focus window on the sidebar, over or under the colour palette or there, somewhere on the right sidebar. :) This way it could be always on if one wants and it would show the surroundings of your pointer, whatever tool you use.

This would be awe-zoom! :)

Cheers,

Adrian

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I think I don't really understand this request: why not simply hold down Space+Cmd and drag over the area that you want to have a closer look at?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Space + Cmd opens Spotlight search.

Oh I see now. Well, this shortcut enables the magnifying glass, the zoom tool. What I (we?) want is a loupe tool, as Aperture has, for example.

Something like this: 

Such a tool would enable a local focus and enlargement, while keeping the entire canvas not zoomed. Just as in the case one uses the colour picker - a "portable" local zoom and focus that follows your pointer.

This, as I understand, is impossible in this version of AD.

Ah, ok, now I got it. In the apps that have this, I used it very rarely, if ever ... and it would IMHO make more sense in AP than in AD.

Yes, it would be useful for AP, but I found myself needing this tool in AD when I added small effects like Drop Shadow or some kind of glow or whatnot. It would be more useful to have that tool or better a mini focus window on the sidebar so I don't have to zoom in and out whenever I have to check small details.

I think a loupe tool is necessary for a pro app. If it was up to me, it would have controls for:

• Placement of zoomed image (docked palette, on-image loupe)
  • Cursor tracking or Loupe tracking toggle
  • Level of zoom
  • Size of on screen Loupe
  • Sample area (1x1, 3x3, 5x5, 7x7, 11x11, 17x17, 23x23, 51x51 are some sizes I've found useful in my work) 
  • Temporary color palette automatically stores the last X (UI space permitting) number of sampled colors
  • A way to add sampled colors to Swatches palette

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Yes, a loupe tool is needed, with adjustable zoom level and loupe size at the least6.  There are times when you need to be able to adjust an area while viewing the whole image.  Repeatedly zooming in and out is both time-consuming and frustrating in that it disrupts the creative flow.  Please add this.