You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OK ... I've tried to find this answer to no specific avail ... If I choose to convert a few of my CR2 RAW images to the DNG format, will I then be able to open them into APHOTO and edit to my hearts content? I have been unable to find a straight answer to that question?

The longer that I use APHOTO, the more I find questions that I have had answers for using PS and LR ... but not so much here.

MGBJAY

As you have Affinity Photo, why not just try converting a few of them and see how they work. Photo can open DNG files, but that's a rather generic format, so trying it for yourself is probably best and easiest.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

35 minutes ago, MGBJAY said:

I have been unable to find a straight answer to that question?

Well I assume you didn't searched on the internet then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

14 hours ago, MGBJAY said:

OK ... I've tried to find this answer to no specific avail ... If I choose to convert a few of my CR2 RAW images to the DNG format, will I then be able to open them into APHOTO and edit to my hearts content? I have been unable to find a straight answer to that question?

Straight answer - yes!  However (!) I'm assuming you're using Adobe's DNG converter - there may be other converters that don't produce a "real" DNG file.  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

14 hours ago, v_kyr said:
  •  

Good Morning IanSG ... Thanks for the answer. I will be using ADOBE DNG. I thought I would give it a try and see what all the scuttlebut was all about. I am currently using mostly with my CANON EOS 5D. Yes, the original from back in 2007 I believe. It has been a versatile tool, and I hope to get a good number of years out of it still.

I prefer the native CR2 file format that it produces, and am simply curious about the DNG format, and want to see how it functions.

Again, Thanks.

MGBJAY

2 hours ago, MGBJAY said:

I prefer the native CR2 file format that it produces, and am simply curious about the DNG format, and want to see how it functions.

Again, Thanks.

MGBJAY

I recently converted all my Pentax  DNG, Canon CR2 and Panasonic RW2 files to Pentax DNG - it saved quite a lot of disk space, but I didn't notice any other changes.  I'd be interested to hear if your results are different.

15 hours ago, MGBJAY said:

You are gutsy to do that all at once.

Thank you, but I tried a few files first, and the originals have been backed up!  That said, I now use the DNG converter to upload my SD cards, so I no longer keep the originals.