You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setting custom ration not so smooth

When I want to crop to a preset, I click the crop tool then the gear weal and click the preset I want.

At that point if I clik the blue apply button outside the gear window, AP decides that that is the final crop and removes the rectangle (it removes also the history...).

On the contrary if I want to try different sizes or else at the chosen ratio the window of the gear is on the way.

I think that in the gear window there should be an OK button os something that allows a smooth transition between setting the custom ratio and maneuvering it.

Have you tried clicking on the gear icon again to shrink the flyout dialog?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

you can s

I shrink  it also  anywhere in the canvas but I do not think is not very elegantt. Every filter/layer has a red button to click why not this one?

plus everything is not the most intuitive and at time confusing in my opinion. But thanks. 

Best

Just now, srg said:

you can scrink it also clicking anywhere but it not a ggod way of doing it. every layes has a red button to click why not this one?

plus everything is not the most intuitive and at time confusing in my opinion. But thanks.

It's a common method used in Affinity applications in other places, too. But actually, I see that it shrinks as soon as I click on one of the presets. So clicking on the cog is not needed.

I'm on Windows; I suppose there could be a problem on Mac that causes it not to shrink when you choose a preset. But in any case, the purpose of the Apply button is to apply the crop. So you should not click on it if you're not done cropping.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It's a common method used in Affinity applications in other places, too. But actually, I see that it shrinks as soon as I click on one of the presets. So clicking on the cog is not needed.

I'm on Windows; I suppose there could be a problem on Mac that causes it not to shrink when you choose a preset. But in any case, the purpose of the Apply button is to apply the crop. So you should not click on it if you're not done cropping.

Yes, you may be right since I am on Mac....

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.