You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DEVELOP PERSONA to SAVE AS ...

If I have an image that I have processed in the Develop Persona and want to save the way that it is without hitting the DEVELOP button, is it possible to do that?

The reason behind my asking this is because I want the image the way that it is right now, and then I want to make a few more tweaks to it ... and save it that way as well without having to start all over again from the beginning ... and without losing all the adjustments that I have in the current image.

Any thoughts or workarounds available to do this , or am I stuch with hitting DEVELOP and then EXPORTING to a file type and saving and then re-opening the *.afphoto image and starting all over with that version of the image ... or instead going back the the original CR2 RAW image and re-creating the entire process from DEVELOP all over again?

I hope this is a clear question ... and thanks for whatever input might follow.

MGBJAY

Your only choices within the Develop Persona are to Develop (which puts you into the Photo Persona) or to Cancel, which throws away any work you've done on that photo and closes it. You don't have an ability to Save.

You can possibly save your adjustments as Presets, so you could supply them to the Raw file when you open the raw file a second time and use the Develop Persona again.

Question, though: do you really need to do your next set of adjustments on the  raw file? Could you do them in the Photo Please instead. Or, possibly, just switch back into the Develop Persona using the file you already developed?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

... well saving all those presets absent the ability to actually "name" each one of them goes back to another query I posted earlier regarding "overlay brush" adjustments and not being able to name any of those. Besides that - there then follows the need to actually catalogue all of those presets which becomes another job and useless for using on another image because each image is rather different in the way each may employ a preset created for another image.

And if I understand what I have read heretofore ... choosing to go back into the DEVELOP PERSONA once committing develop ... the image that opens is "stuck" with the adjustments made in the previous version before making it an *.afphoto image - which then is the image frozen with those adjustments and unable to take them back to their original neutral choices, In other words ... one must use the newly DEVELOPed image as the baseline from which to start a new version of the same image ,,, which by definition is not the same image, but the adjusted one - leaving as I said - beginning all over with the original CR2 RAW image absent the favour of having the adjustment choices applied to the image previously DEVELOPed.

I am NOT trying to make this any more complicated than it needs to be ... but it does take a few words to be clear when trying to exactly explain what I am after. 

Appreciative of (your) patience.

MGBJAY

All good points. And in that case the answer to your question is simple. You will start over from the raw file and repeat everything you did.

Or, you make minimal adjustments in the raw file, Develop it, and do the rest in the Photo Persona or by switching back to Develop if you like those tools better. I think you could Develop to a 32-bit Adobe RGB image and probably work from that reasonably.

But it's up to you which workflow you choose.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Is it possible to EXPORT before I hit the DEVELOP button? I am not wanting to try this before I try to get an answer because of the time that I have spent getting this image right where I want it ... and it is right now. Just trying to discover an option ... if one is available. And I am trying to avoid "just trying it" and screw all this work up.

Just now, MGBJAY said:

Is it possible to EXPORT before I hit the DEVELOP button? I am not wanting to try this before I try to get an answer because of the time that I have spent getting this image right where I want it ... and it is right now. Just trying to discover an option ... if one is available. And I am trying to avoid "just trying it" and screw all this work up.

No. Your choices are to Develop or Cancel, as I said above.

-- Walt
PC:

However, if you tell Photo (via the Assistant for the Develop process) to output RGB/32 Bit HDR rather than RGB/16, and if you configure (via Preferences, Color) your 32-bit profile as Adobe RGB Linear, I think you will find that you can move back to Develop from Photo without losing much, if any, information.

-- Walt
PC: