You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blend mode using fill dialogue

I like to do dodging and burning on a separate layer filled with 126 grey and the blend mode set to Overlay. Using AF 1.7.0.110 on an iMac with OS X 10.12.6 I create the new layer, fill it with grey and set the blend mode to Overlay. After I click apply it fills the layer but the blend mode doesn't change, it still is set to Normal. It's as if the blend mode change is ignored and I have to change it after. Not a big issue, just wondering about it.

01_Fill dialogue.jpeg

02_Fill dialogue applied.jpeg

03_Blend mode change.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Laverda3c said:

After I click apply it fills the layer but the blend mode doesn't change, it still is set to Normal

You have filled the layer with your grey colour applied as blend mode Overlay into the Normal blend mode pixel layer. Try setting the pixel layer's blend mode as overlay then just use the flood tool with your grey colour, just a different method.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

26 minutes ago, Laverda3c said:

Thanks, that does save a step. It would be nice if the blend mode change in the fill dialogue box worked directly otherwise why is it there?

It is useful if you want to fill a layer which already has some pixel artwork on it and achieve an effect on that artwork. (not sure what the 'History' choice does though).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:38 PM, Laverda3c said:

Thanks, that does save a step. It would be nice if the blend mode change in the fill dialogue box worked directly otherwise why is it there?

This is a very, very special wish ---- there are a LOT of  "extra-step-needs... wide-window... mouse-miles...",... which should fix ASAP, but this seldom need, should be become a "focus"? 

How OFTEN do you need this "feature", compairing to eg. a "dodge-brush" is per default always "white" and  a "burn"  is ALWAYS "blck" complete independingly from the color of the regular brushes? Why does it need a DOGE and BURN toll???? I choose one and if i hold a mocifyer key, it does the opposite (Dodge become Burn: Paint become Erase; Sharpen become Blur....) by just hold the special (user) modififyer. 

It does not matter what the REGULAR has as for(background-color... if i click eg. doge it gets automatically FULL-black or FULL-white by holding the mod-key... and if switch back to my REGULAR brush i get ITS current for(backcolor... back.... Same for sharp/blur-brush, or Mask-brusch".... The current REGULAR brush-colors... Nobody needs for this tools...

My suggestion: >changing a tool, from regular "brush" to any other tool, or "mask-painting":... the current tool gets ITS "native" colors and a NORMAL change from eg. dodge to burn will KEEP the current "brush"... Just a dodge/burn with a modify will load the last/default... nozzle to this... (however you prefer)...

All Conter-"Brushes" like (reg) brush/eraese... dodge/burn... sharp/blur... mask hide/cover...  should work (per default) on this simplified "logic". With (eg. CMD i got exactly the opposite of this "brush"). 

LEAVE this old-fashioned paradigm what a special "brush" is doing! IF i do not know dodge/burn... but i want to bright/dark some areas... I want ONE tool for this. And this tool does exactly what i expect, does not matter how the color of the brush currently is... In this case its absolutely not important... i want my "darker/brighter" tool as solid "black-white" instead the maybe regular brush pink/lightgreen... I NOW want to dark/bright and if switch back to regular brusch... i want my pink/green back... And if switch from regular-brush to eaaser, the pink/mintgreen is also not important... i just want to" erase"  some parts, with the same "NOZZLE", but without to keep care what the for/back-color is! 

All old-fashion-"photographer" and so on... all this guys, should ist old wide-window-behavior... if they wish... but all (more logic thinking guys) should get this new, fast, smart... of understanding "brushes" as tools AND conter-tools!  i´m pretty sure this new, easy, smart...  concept will convienced EVEN the hardest "i`m a photograper and i want my wide-windowed exactly i knoe..." fraction very soon. Maybe there will be left some guys, but this ones are freaks, like the fraction "a mp3... never sounds as the original... NEVER, never,  a digital-camera.... will be as good, as good, as a mechanic... and so on.... Nostalgics, people without fantasy.... will always and everywhere have "take into consideration" .

Are you a "nostalgic" brake block, or are you a smart people, which recognize in the future, even if the during-phase is extra-complicated? 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.