Developing Performance #240

Hi Mark,

regarding the developing performance with a 22.3 MP .CR2 of a Canon 5D M3

Load time:

#135 --> 7.5 secs first time, later then 6.5 secs

#240 --> 4.5 secs first time, later then 3 secs

Developing time without adjustments (default settings):

#135 --> 4 secs all the time

#240 --> 13 sec all the time and I get a "washed" out image (btw. it's 1.5 seconds faster then the previous betas)

If you need a sample file, please let me know... Thanks!

1 hour ago, IndigoMoon said:

@Mark Ingram No, I didn't. Are you talking about the Tone Mapping Persona or the HDR Merge? I can try if you like...

Yep, pressing the Tone Mapping Persona button (on my very high spec desktop machine it was taking 60 seconds on the progress bar dialog, and it's now down to 5 seconds).

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

pressing the Tone Mapping Persona button...

Ok, I've done a test by using the previous developed .CR2 file:

#135 --> 31 secs first time, all additional attempts by canceling the result and trying it again increases the time by a few seconds (35, 37, 39, 43 seconds etc.)

#240 --> 23 secs first time, then about 45 seconds for the second try after canceling and finally it ended up with a app crash, app freeze or a complete Windows 10 crash with the third attempt. I've tried it a few times, always with the same result.

I assume something with the memory usage...

4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

on my very high spec desktop machine

Not everyone owns such a HIGH SPEC machine !

Startup : 29 sec

RAW
Open : .CR2  (18.10 MP) 21 sec - second time: 16 sec
Develop (without making changes) :  50 sec and still washed-out

Tone mapping Persona 
Startup : 10 min 17 sec    !!!!!
APPLY (with minor changes) :  25 sec

Affinity Photo  1.7.2.471 

Windows 10 Home  1903 (build 18362.175) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

Hi @HVDB Photography, what are the times in the previous beta or the times in 1.6 for your machine?

As I mentioned in the release notes for 1.7.0.240, the performance improvements should scale between high spec and low spec machines. I was clarifying my "60 seconds" timing with the caveat that my machine is very fast anyway.

12 hours ago, IndigoMoon said:

#240 --> 23 secs first time, then about 45 seconds for the second try after canceling and finally it ended up with a app crash, app freeze or a complete Windows 10 crash with the third attempt. I've tried it a few times, always with the same result.

I assume something with the memory usage...

What was the memory usage? Have you enabled the crash identifier in Preferences | Misc? If so I can lookup your crash.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi @HVDB Photography, what are the times in the previous beta or the times in 1.6 for your machine?

As I mentioned in the release notes for 1.7.0.240, the performance improvements should scale between high spec and low spec machines. I was clarifying my "60 seconds" timing with the caveat that my machine is very fast anyway.

Here they are ....

Startup : 29 sec

RAW
Open : .CR2  (18.10 MP) 25 sec - second time: 25 sec
Develop (without making changes) :  27 sec 

Tone mapping Persona 
Startup : 1 min 27 sec   = A tremendous difference !!!!!!!!!

APPLY (with minor changes) :  19 sec

Windows 10 Home  1903 (build 18362.175) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Have you enabled the crash identifier in Preferences | Misc?

Sure, it was enabled. Where to find these reports? Regarding the memory usage, it's just an assumption, because of the time accumulation after each try.

3 minutes ago, IndigoMoon said:

Sure, it was enabled. Where to find these reports? Regarding the memory usage, it's just an assumption, because of the time accumulation after each try.

A copy of the reports are on your HDD, but I can search for them on our server. I'm assuming your email address (in Preferences) is the same as here on the forum?

13 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

what version of Windows are you using?

It's all in my signature below ...

19 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

It's all in my signature below ...

6 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Your signature is empty...

Not for me! O.o

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123

Windows 10 / 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

We think the application is holding onto more memory than it should, which is causing Windows to page (i.e. write the contents of your memory) to disk. That would explain the kinds of slowdown you're seeing. Any chance you can tell me memory usage after developing, or entering tone map persona etc?

17 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

We think the application is holding onto more memory than it should, which is causing Windows to page

That confirms what I had in mind for a long time.
The video (at double speed)  shows that once the RAW development has been executed, the memory is not released.
Although, the extremely long time span at the start of Tone Mapping Persona I could no longer simulate!
It now takes an average of just over 3 minutes each time before TMPersona is up and running.
I also have to add that I've done a cold reboot and disabled the Superfetch service beforehand.

Yes it seems as though the Tone Mapping Persona is the real culprit:

Affinity 240 Tone Map.jpg

Win 10 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch
 - Sys : Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

There are different versions of Windows 10. Microsoft upgrades Windows 10 twice a year, one in spring and one in fall. The latest version is 1809 (stands for 2018 and September). I think it would help to add this to the signature too.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471  |   Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Windows 10 Home 64bit 1903 | Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 | Intel UHD Graphics 630 | 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4

Tested the Tone Mapping with the 240 Beta last night just before dinner. It hung going into the Tone Mapping Persona at roughly 40%, not quite half way. I left it, ate dinner and returned about 40 minutes later. It had not progressed, and in fact almost caused my entire system to crash, couldn't bring up Task Manager. I did finally manage to force close Photo. I still had to reboot my machine to get it to working smoothly again.

This morning, I noticed just 4 minutes after Mark posted the 243 Beta link. Download/Installed, and tried Tone Mapping first, using the same CR2 RAW file as I used last night. WOW what a difference. 12 secs to load into Tone Mapping. Done a few adjustments, then hit develop and 3 secs to develop and back to working in Photo Persona.

Good Work @Mark Ingram

Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 ; Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.464; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

OK!

Win 10 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch
 - Sys : Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

Thanks a lot @Mark Ingram
RAW Development works in .243 much faster now and the correct profile is set after developing in Photo Persona.

Very well done

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

Thanks Mark, well done!

Pressing the Tone Mapping Icon improves now on my machine to 19 seconds and no crashes anymore repeating the procedure.

But #243 still takes longer for developing, so I did some investigation... Noise Reduction