You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Someone please explain if RAW develop mode and 16 bit photo edit mode is same

What is the advantage of doing tonal corrections in "Develop Persona" when compared to do the same changes in "Photo Persona" in RGB 16 bit mode?

My usual workflow is:

I open a RAW file in affinity. Just set to output profile Prophoto and color depth to RGB 16 bit. Then click develop and go to Photo persona and do the tonal changes there. 

Am I loosing anything by skipping the RAW development and directly going to Photo Persona with 16bit image?

Thanks

Hard to tell due to these findings/discussion here ...

... you best try out for yourself and then compare your results to make your own workflow decision.

See also:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

53 minutes ago, >|< said:

The last two or three  (at time of this post) betas of 1.7 are allowing us to work in a greater than sRGB gamut in Develop Persona.

Ah Ok, so the OP has now the choice to do his tonal corrections there too if desired.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2