You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Usability Issues with Add Pages Dialog

If I use the mouse to close  Add Pages Dialog then all is good.

If however I use the Return Key to close the dialog I need to hit it twice in order to close it. The Dialog should close after the first Return.

It seems that the first Return registers the number of pages and the second one closes the dialog.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

11 hours ago, Seneca said:

t seems that the first Return registers the number of pages and the second one closes the dialog.

I get that behaviour with a great many applications, it is annoying but actually expected behaviour after thinking about it. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

it is annoying but actually expected behaviour after thinking about it.

As far as I remember Apple HIG state that if you hit the Return or Enter keys, the Dialog box should be dismissed immediately.

Basically, these keys act as your pointer device. We don't click twice the OK button to dismiss it. :)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• Staff

As far as I can tell a single press of the return key will close the dialog and add a page (using default values). It looks like the number of pages to be added text field is being activated in your video so the first click is terminating that editing action then dismissing the dialog on the 2nd. I think that's fair enough checking against the HIG guidelines. Let me know if that's not the case as it's tricky to tell exactly whats going on in the video.

Regards

In a default Mac selection box, when the user clicks into a cell to insert the typing cursor, the frame around the cell turns blue making that cell active (see attachment). Now hitting the return key activates the default behavior, in this case closing the dialogue box. In Affinity's software, when a cursor is inserted into a cell, that cell does not turn blue, but after the first return the cell turns blue, becomes active, and then the second return triggers the default behavior of that dialogue box. It appears that all 3 Affinity products behave in the same manner. Is this a design choice?

Default Mac Selection Box.png

rusty - Macintosh: macOS Big Sur 11.1. Memory 16 GB

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.