You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Two glitches working with text frames

When editing text which I have typed into a text frame, paragraph returns will not delete unless I select them first. Also I cannot zoom using the designated keystrokes while working within a text frame; I have to click outside a text frame in order to zoom in or out. Am I missing something here?

10 hours ago, AussieBloke said:

When editing text which I have typed into a text frame, paragraph returns will not delete unless I select them first. Also I cannot zoom using the designated keystrokes while working within a text frame; I have to click outside a text frame in order to zoom in or out. Am I missing something here?

Hello @AussieBloke,

welcome to the forum.

Which keystrokes do you mean for zooming?
I have CTRL plus '+' and CTRL plus '-' set for zooming (on Windows) and this seems to work within a text frame.

I'm not sure what you mean with the paragraph returns.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your response, Dominik. I use a Mac, where the zooming keystroke is CMD plus '+' or '-'. This works fine, unless I am actually editing text within a text frame, where it does not zoom. I have to click on the page elsewhere, but not in any text frame, for the zoom to work.

The issue with the paragraph returns is strange. Within any paragraph of typing, the DELETE key deletes text, and paragraph returns, in the normal way. But if I come to the start of a paragraph and go to delete the paragraph return linking the text to the previous paragraph, it will not delete unless I actually select that paragraph return symbol and then press DELETE. Does that make sense?  

Graeme

AussieBloke

6 hours ago, AussieBloke said:

This works fine, unless I am actually editing text within a text frame, where it does not zoom. I have to click on the page elsewhere, but not in any text frame, for the zoom to work.

Hi @AussieBloke,

this very much sounds like a bug on the Mac platform. I just double checked. CTRL + '+' (equivalent to CMD + '+' on mac) works within a text frame on Windows. Maybe someone else can try to verify.

6 hours ago, AussieBloke said:

But if I come to the start of a paragraph and go to delete the paragraph return linking the text to the previous paragraph, it will not delete unless I actually select that paragraph return symbol and then press DELETE. Does that make sense?

Now I understand. I tried this and it seems to work as expected with, both, the DELETE key that needs to be placed before the paragraph return and the BACKSPACE key that needs to be placed at the start of a paragraph to delete the space to the previous paragraph. I think there is a difference how DELETE keys work on Windows and Mac. But basically it is working here.

Can someone please try to replicate?

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Works fine on Windows for me, too. Sounds like a Mac-specific problem, and I'm not sure why this topic is in the Publisher on Windows bug forum. Perhaps a moderator will consider moving it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.