You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

More than one effect of the same type + copy settings

Hello everyone!

I want to start by saying that I am by no means a designer, I just started learning about vector graphics and design last week, so sorry if my question is basic.

I started using iDraw then I switched to Affinity Designer. My question is: can I use more than one effect of the same type? For example, for the same shape, have two or three drop shadows? I don't see any "+" signs to add a new effect or to duplicate an existing one. Also, can I select and copy the settings for an effect to apply them to another shape?

Thank you.

Hi m3adi3c

Whilst multiple instances of the same effects is not implemented yet, there are some tricks you can do to achieve a similar thing using layer structure. If you add a layer, draw a shape in that layer and with the shape selected press cmd+g to create a group. You can then add an effect to each part of the structure giving you appearance of applying multiple effects to one object

In terms of coping effects from one object to another, you can save the objects as a style (right click object and select create style), this will also copy the fill and line properties so it depends on exactly what you are wanting to do with that one

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

• 1 year later...

Hi m3adi3c

Whilst multiple instances of the same effects is not implemented yet, there are some tricks you can do to achieve a similar thing using layer structure. If you add a layer, draw a shape in that layer and with the shape selected press cmd+g to create a group. You can then add an effect to each part of the structure giving you appearance of applying multiple effects to one object

But this workaround affects things that shouldn't be affected. The effect appears outside of the specific object.

Example: If you want to construct a button (or any other "elevated" UI element)

1. You draw the shape.

2. Make an border (immersion) as gap around it.

3. Add an outer shadown.

4. Add the bright inner shadow as hilite.

5. Add the dark inner shadow on the opposite.

But in Designer the inner shadows runs out of the shape.

An example says more than 1000 words...

The first: that's what it should look like. The second: the effect on the additional layer runs into the outline of the object and, and breaks the whole plasticity of the knob.

5cO3kZM.png 0gG5osa.png

For better visibility i'll color the shadows...

ghIbDhI.png h9YhYiW.png

Ooops. Surprise. Designer paints the effect always over the outline...  :blink:

This is strange. Even the outer shadow is getting colored. I didn't do that.  :lol:

eijuS2h.png

I don't use Photoshop and never used Illustrator.