You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make "Cycle Selection Box / Reset Bounding Box" Stick

Can we have the option to make the Cycle Selection Box/Reset Bounding Box stick, or be permanent?

As of now, Designer lets you reset the bounding box via the Cycle Selection Box button. However, when you click out of the object and then click back to it, the bounding box returns to it's non-rectangular shape. Can we make the rectangular shaped bounding box stick, so that even re-selecting the object will retain the bounding box reset.

It could be reset permanently, losing the old transformed bounding box. Or switchable, when the button is on every bounding box is rectangular and when the button is off, everything retains its transformed bounding box.

For example, when you skew a square and then rotate it, you end up with an odd shaped transformation/bounding box. Which then makes it awkward to align. It also, sometimes, creates a weird space on grouped objects.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

bound.jpg

It does affect the bounds in some way. Attached is one of the examples where it affects the bounding box of a group. To replicate it, unskew an italic text by skewing it (or create a parallelogram and then skew it to be square) and you will see that it keeps its old bounding box, even though there isn't part of the object in that space. I hope this better explains it.

bound2.jpg

The problem with this is that the resetting of the bounding box is only done for editing purposes (e.g. rotate the image, then reset the bounding box, then scale horizontally).

??

Begging your pardon, Mark, but quite often my purposes for resetting a bounding box is to permanently reorient the selection to its current state. I dare say you'll have the same argument  with decades of Illustrator users, because that program's Reset Bounding Box command is used all the time and it is only permanent; it can't be "restored" to the orientation in which the object was originally created (unless, of course, you reverse the transformation(s) performed and then Reset Bounding Box again).

The "extra space" bounds which Wickster illustrates is also a stumbling block, (and I don't mean in the context of live text).

Yes, I appreciate that Affinity is able to "remember" its untransformed orientation. But it's just as common to need the object to forget its original orientation, and thereafter treat its new orientation as normal.

JET

• 4 months later...

I think that a permanent reset bounding box option is essential for anyone using Affinity Designer. Based on my prior experience with Adobe Illustrator, a permanent reset bounding box is a valuable tool for an efficient workflow. It's convenient to have the option of a non-permanent reset bounding box for vector shapes that need it, but most of the time we NEED a permanent reset bounding box. 

• 2 months later...

I agree with this, and Wickster's example illustrates the issue perfectly.

Aligning, centering, and simply looking at the selected items is simply better with a bounding box that fits the objects snuggly.

It's definitely not something that comes up often but it makes a difference when it does.

I really like the cycling button, if it oculd be sticky it'd make workflows more agile.

if an improvement request can be made, that would be awesome @Chris B !

Cheers all

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Especially given that Affinity does not provide transformation tools, but insists upon all routine tactile transforms being dependent upon bounding boxes, why not provide a bit of innovation to make the omnipresent and cluttering bounding boxes more useful?

An illustrator should be able to perform tactile transformations in any direction desired, not just in the horizontal and vertical directions of the page, and not just in the direction of the bounding box's current  or original orientation. Why can we reset the bounding box and rotate the Canvas, but cannot rotate the bounding box itself so as to freely orient its transform handles in a direction that is meaningful to the illustration in progress?

Affinity's tactile transformation handles are all attached to a bounding box which often has absolutely nothing to do with any detail-of-immediate-interest in the drawing. The bounding boxes have FIVE rotation handles! Not just one at every corner (as if we even need more than one), but also that additional giant obtrusive 'lollypop' lever. Why not simply provide a momentary key modifier that, if pressed when dragging the lollypop, will rotate the bounding box around its content, so that we could thereby freely and instantly reorient the scaling and skewing handles, and zero the rotation angle, to perform their transforms in whatever direction we need relative to the artwork?

JET

The beta forums are not really the appropriate place to make suggestions for new features, so this topic was never really in the right place. And continuing to post in it now that its archived will probably not do any good, @JET_Affinity. I suggest that you post your suggestions in one of the Feedback forums as that's where the appropriate Serif staff will be looking for them. and they may have some affect on future development.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/15/2020 at 10:36 AM, walt.farrell said:

The beta forums are not really the appropriate place to make suggestions for new features...

I'm aware of that and quite agree. However, what got me here was clicking a Notification yesterday that responded to one of my posts. The subject caused me to assume I was in the feature request forum. This whole thread should have been moved.

JET

52 minutes ago, prophet said:

Yeah. What's up with that thing?

It can be used for rotation or for skewing.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 minutes ago, prophet said:

I can't make Skew happen

Slide the mouse cursor down toward the object and it should change from rotate to skew.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Slide the mouse cursor down toward the object and it should change from rotate to skew.

I think that is a result of the cursor interaction with the top center handle of the bounding box after losing focus on the "lollypop." Similar to the other centered handles at left, right, and bottom.

@Mark Ingram
Hi Mark. Can we move this thread to the feature request section? I was hoping it would get tackled during the 1.8 beta, but it still hasn't been implemented. Yet the issue and the request to fix/change how the object bounding box is still needed in my opinion. I just don't want this issue to be forgotten or not considered in future updates. I also don't want to start a new thread in the request section and leave out the important comments and points already made in this thread.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:23 PM, Wickster said:

@Mark Ingram
Hi Mark. Can we move this thread to the feature request section? I was hoping it would get tackled during the 1.8 beta, but it still hasn't been implemented. Yet the issue and the request to fix/change how the object bounding box is still needed in my opinion. I just don't want this issue to be forgotten or not considered in future updates. I also don't want to start a new thread in the request section and leave out the important comments and points already made in this thread.

Done.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...